Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Have a problem with knowing how much cool air is required to cool an enclosed engine.Putting together a CMPro YAK 54 Fibreglass Arf.Opening at front of cowl is approx. 5.5 inches and going on the advice of Adrian Page of Page Aviation(Gee Bee Kit etc) I have made a close out very similar to full size plane .Theirs is louvered mine isn't.This close out should direct air directly onto cylinder and head.I don't even have a problem with drilling a 3/4 " hole directly in front of the cylinder on the curvature of the cowl to direct more air onto head.I have heard of a ratio of 1intake of cool air to 2 exhaust of warm air or even 1 to 3.The Glass work and Paint finish is so excellent on this arf I have a problem just hacking holes .So far I have 2 slots 3/4" wide by 4" long to enable the cowl to be put on with exhaust on engine and all so for exhaust to exit cowl.This cowl doesn't lend itself to much hacking sure wish those louvers where functional(not an option)

Hmm! pictures came out in the reverse order that I put them but hopefully they will help.Also the angle of the one with the closeout panel doesn't look as if it allows much air in .It is the angle I took it though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-006s_190.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	15816   Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-003s_828.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	15817   Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-001s_259.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	15818  
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:16 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Intake seems fine.

You might need some exit space though!!Popcan..

Maybe the more experienced will help here.
Have a great day!!!
popcan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

My inexperience is the same as Popcan's inexperience.

I agree with him. I'd open up the space between your existing exit holes, make sure you round off the corners in any holes you cut. If they are sharp corners, it's liable to crack.

If in doubt, fire that bad boy up and monitor it for overheating. As long as you don't lean it out like crasy, it shouldn't cause a problem for the motor. It just won't run worth a darn. If it runs like crap on the ground, you should open up them holes some more. (Exit first, and your ratio is what I know as well)

I'm no GURU, but I've ran a few underventilated cowls in the past. Tial and error rules my hobby room!

Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21
With the cutout you are on the right track to direct cooling air towards the engine side, however, this will only partially work. To do baffling correctly, you will need a baffle that is cut out around the engine fins at the centerline of the cylinder head.

See this link from r/c showcase with an article from Ken Spears. It's for a gas engine but the principles are still the same.

MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I have baffled quite few even down to 1/4" x 1-1/4" on my FAI's and Formula 1's. They are all 40 size at high rpm(+20k) You have lots of opening but I would install a baffle around the head for your airflow. Not sure how on this one but you won't need much. I try to get the flow around to the exhaust side to cool that area as that is where the high temps are. The ratio I work on is 1 to 3.
Hope this is some help.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Hey guys thanks for all the help and links
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.