Smoke in the cockpit! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I haven't opened a Futaba receiver lately so take this with a grain of salt.

1. Check your wires for any sign of melting.

2. You may not have damaged anything important........ see why...

Did you plug the battery into the the battery slot?? When you did this, the power would have gone through the 3rd pin. This is not the same as reversing the polarity. Power may not have been passed to the the main IC or to the servos.

Take a look at the foil pattern on the bottom of the board to see where this pin goes. If it does not go directly to anything or goes directly through a resistor somewhere then I would investigate to see if it is of any importance.

Good luck.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Thanks for the input... I'd like to have a look at the receiver... are they easy enough to open up? I'm not at home right now so it's not in front of me.... I've never had a need to look inside a receiver before. Is it just a two piece case held with screws?

thanks again...
Steve Hayes, MAAC 51896
4206'15"N 8305'40"W

Sun Parlor RC Flyers Tower Field
4210'13"N 8302'49"W

Ontario Adhesives
propnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Use a magnifying glass with a good light when looking. The copper traces and components get very small especially on the newer stuff.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #14
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

All good advice. The battery short thing sounds like the most likely.

When you are checking servo functions, make sure you put a good physical resistance load on the servos. Either by your hand on the servo output arm or the control surface itself. My reasoning is if a circuit was weakened by the short, the servo functions may pass the wiggly test when "empty" - but would complete the circuit failure when loaded. If everything passes under load you are probably good to go.

If after all the checks, you decide to be replacing. Know that I have both excess new receivers (Hitec Supreme) and brand new 4.8v rx batteries. Which I would sell to you at a reasonable price.

I have a few of these as well as a bin full of new or as new servos (Hitec and Futaba). I will be posting the complete list and quantities for sale in the next week or so; when I get a chance to sort out exactly what I need and exactly what can go.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:56 PM   #15
RCC Contributor
I am: Rick S

I agree with tech1.. You really didn't connect the battery backwards, but you did apply a + to the board and pulled the signal line to a hard -. But if you were in the battery slot this pin may not be used....I dont see how you would affect any servos. What module of receiver were you using.

Sound to me like you didn't let enough of the magic smoke out for it to stop working or the smoke came from the wires.

Would I do my maidan on this receiver.. NOT A chance but I would try it in a smaller , lighter plane after I spent some time looking over the receiver, following the traces from the pins that were used incorrectly. Possibly drawing a schematic. Followed by some long range test.
All Electronic components contain SMOKE. Once you let the smoke out, they stop working
just_lkn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:57 AM   #16
RCC Contributor

Lots of good advice... thanks... I won't get a chance to look inside the receiver until the weekend, but at least I've got a little better feeling about what I'd be looking for. I still plan on doing the maiden flight with a different receiver, but I'm feeling a little more confident that this one may be ok. The battery wires look a little blistered so I'm pretty sure the smoke we saw wasn't the magic kind from inside the receiver.... I think it was just the battery wires getting too hot. Thanks for the offer on the receiver and battery Claude, I may just take you up on that. Send me a PM with a price.

Steve Hayes, MAAC 51896
4206'15"N 8305'40"W

Sun Parlor RC Flyers Tower Field
4210'13"N 8302'49"W

Ontario Adhesives
propnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:13 AM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
A visual inspection is not enough to determine if the receiver is damaged. When some electronic components are subject to enough reverse polarity, they change their characteristics, especially if the resulting heat was great enough. What's worse, the small traces (connections on the circuit board) on the new surface mount technology (smt), and especially newer multi-layer boards are more fragile than you might think. What's worse, with multi-layer boards, you can easily damage a trace with no visible evidence.

When in doubt, I ship my equipment in for servicing with a typed note clearly indicating what I did, and what my concerns are. I did something similar to a reciever a couple years ago, it appeared to be working correctly but I sent it in anyway. It was found to be intermittent and Horizon replaced it free of charge, even though I had clearly indicated it was my own fault. Excellent service!

I doubt your servos, or even the crystal are damaged, they would not be in the circuit path for this type short.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.