Hitec 58207 transmitter battery problems - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Hitec 58207 transmitter battery problems

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello, I am trying to bring back the capacity on some hitec 8 cell 600mAh NiCad packs for a friend of mine. They are dying real quick from what he says. One of the two seems to be OK but the other one I am only able to get about 110mAh capacity out of. I cycled it 3 times on the stock settings (my cycler is a Hobbico AccuCycle Elite). Is there anything else I should try or is this one pack a gonner? I think it is about 2 years old, maybe 3.

Also, who makes the cells in hitec packs?

KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6
8 Cells

The cells are made by Sanyo. Normally, just one cell will develop a short circuit and you can measure each cell with a digital voltmeter. Replace the bad cell or replace the complete batt. pack. Your choice.

cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor

OK, well the packs are not mine to tear into. Ill have to talk with my friend and see what he wants to do. It probably wouldnt make sense to replace 1 bad cell with a new one, it would be like replacing a flat tire with a 50,000 mile rating on your car when you get the flat after 40,000 miles.. the other ones are only going to last another 10,000 but the new one will go a full 50k

Ill see what my friend wants to do.. probably just replace the pack.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8
Tx Battery

Hi Steve,

I usually replace all my batteries with NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries of a higher capacity at some point.

In the case of a Tx (transmitter) battery, I use high capacity camera batteries. The Tx is not subject to the vibration of a receiver battery, and therefore I'm not worried about failures. I usually replace the complete Tx pack with high capacity camera batteries (2100mah or 2300mah). These can be purchsed almost anywhere such as Costco or Zellers, and I have never had one fail.

If you are capable, you can solder the batteries and make your own pack, using the original as a wiring example. Note, the original batteries will have "tabs", and you will have to use a small piece of insulated wire instead. You must use a very hot soldering iron. This is so the iron contact to the cell is very brief, as to not heat up and damage the cell. I usually clean the cell end and then give it a light sanding, just enough to scratch it a little before soldering.

Make sure you observe the connector polarity when installing the connector. Typically, the red wire goes on the positive of the battery pack. Make sure you measure the connector output with a meter on the old pack, and then on the new pack making sure they are the same before plugging it in to the Tx.

After soldering, and installing the connector, the pack can be heat shrink wrapped, or wrapped with electrical tape.

If your lucky, and your Tx has room in the battery compartment, you can purchase an 8 cell battery holder, from an electrical store, such as Radio Shack (their new name is The Source) - file down the snap on connector, then solder the connector wires onto them, again check polarity on old and new battery as described above, then put it in the radio, this holder will make it easier to replace cells in the future if you have to.

The cells will take longer to charge with the wall charger, so I typically charge the pack out of the Tx with a fast charger, such as the Hobbico Mark II Field Charger for the first charge. After that I use the wall charger since you won't run them down much. With the new Tx pack, you will be able to run your Tx all day.

If you want to purchase a pack, they can be purchased on line from Hobby Wholesale or Great Hobbies and they usually deliver within the week.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:20 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor

Wayne, thanks for the information. I just replaced my hand held ham radio pack with NiMh cells like that, only I used an 8 cell 720mAh pack that was already made. I tested it a while ago and it lasted being turned on for 3 days strait!

As for soldering directly on to the cells, I believe that is a NO-NO. The cells have a plastic/rubber gasket around one or both terminals to seal the chemicals inside. When you apply heat to that seal it destroys it and the life of the battery will be drastically shortened.

I am IPC and PACE certified for soldering so soldering is a non-issue I just wish I had a micro spot welder to put tabs on new cells Although, you can purchase some cells with the solder tabs already in place - just costs a little extra.

Hmm.. micro spot welder?? might be able to make one out of a 110vac line and a thin piece of music wire (so you dont blow a circuit or light the room on fire ) just hold a tab in place on one of the terminals and ground one side of the 110vac line to the terminal and touch the center of the tab with the music wire on the other side of the 110vac line. Youll get a spark and hopefully it will melt all the way through the tab and into the batery terminal. Then again, 12vdc out of a car battery would probably give enough of a spark to do the same thing. 110 would be tricky

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.