12ft Telemaster - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #11
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Rob C

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I found some old pics of the glider launcher.

Power is Keller 100/8 on 27 round cells with 2:1 belt drive and an 18-12 prop. Battery packs were quick-change in the belly of the aircraft. It has fowler-type flaps for launching slower gliders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	telemaster_belt_drive_188.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	16294   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr_telemaster_105.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	16295  

A day without sunshine is like ...night.
rscamp is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Mike P

Originally Posted by Canhos
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaster12.htm they still make the 12' one!

Interesting electric conversion. I don't know much about electrics but that motor with the 10 lipo cells that they suggest is only 2.8hp max. That's only as much as an OS FX91. Seems a little under powered. Somebody care to enlighten me.
Currently driving: HPI Savage X SS 4.6 / Traxxas Mini E-Revo
Find me a the Milton Fair Grounds any sunny weekend.
orenda635 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:24 PM   #13
RCC Expert Contributor

I don't know the characteristics of an "OS FX91", but commonly with electrics the aerodynamic efficiency is better exploited. To be sure, though, the torque curves would need to be compared. The telemaster would prefer high thrust and low pitch speed.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:35 PM   #14
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

The reccommended motor is swinging a 23 11 prop at around 5500 rpm. There will be lots of thrust there. (I'm just doing rough calculations, but the point is the same)

The 90 has a reccommended prop of 13 8 at an advertised 15000 rpm.

Looking at the OS surpass 3 120, it's only rated at 2.1 HP and swings a 18-6 prop at an advertised 12000 rpm.

The three engines are all totally different. The Electric is putting out huge torque. It relies on raw stump pulling power. While it doesn't turn as fast it can haul alot (think big highway truck). The 4 stroke is relying on more torque as well, just not to the extent that the electric is (typical 1 ton with a diesel engine). Then you have the 2 stroke. It's like the little tuner car. It goes like stink, but the engine is screaming to get the speeds (all horsepower, not torque).

I'm just dabbling in electrics, and I am having to force myself to change my thinking. I'm used to glow, where you rely on smaller props running at insane speeds. With the electrics, it's a totally different way of thinking. You want to ultimately get s big a prop as you can, and turn it fairly slow compared to the glows.

There you go,

My thoughts, as disjointed as they are.

Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #15
RCC Expert Contributor

Mike. You're definitely on the right track!

Electrics also have a very, very narrow RPM range for a given throttle setting, so pitch speed is more critical.

Once you know all this stuff and make the right choices, the performance can be excellent. Get something wrong, and you've got a dog.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #16
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bill H

Total Props: 1
Originally Posted by jimq26
I have a complete just built Telemaster 40 (73" wingspan) for sale on this site if anyone may be interested. So far no enquiries, so I may have to strip the electronics and engine from it and sell everything separately.
Does that make sense?
Your Telemaster Should sell complete with the ARF craze being what it is. I can't imagine a better trainer or all round good flyer. I think that the reason they are not more popular is the age of the design. Folks might associate its age with obsolesence but nothing could be further from the truth. If people knew its origins it would be a great conversation piece anywhere.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable enlighten us with its history.

My Dog lived to be walked.
ModelBuilder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #17
RCC Noob

Thumbs up Re: 12ft Telemaster

Originally Posted by Myzee View Post
Oh my god, i never even thought to look at the Hobbly-Lobby website! DOH!
Electric powered??? No way, if I ever build one of these it's a gasoline engine all the way!

So cool!
Hi just finished 12ft. telemaster from hobbylobby installed toc53cc from Electrodynamics have broke in engine just waiting for nice day to fly weighs in at 23.5lbs so should have lots of zip
RCDog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #18
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ron B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 4
Re: 12ft Telemaster

There's one being built right now in my town. Looks like its just about ready to be covered. I might add the builder is a long time RC'er and he's done a wonderful job.
I will definitely get some pictures of it when it makes it's maiden flight.
MAAC # 77858
Ever since I learned to fly better, I've had a lot less radio problems!
Flybaby is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #19
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

I know your talking about a 12 ft airplane but 56 lbs???? What the heck did he put it together with....cement? Sorry, but that just seems an increadable amount of weight even for a 12' airplane.

Any idea why it would weigh so much....just curious??

I've built 3 Telemaster 40 kits a few years back and it still is one of my all time favourite flying airplanes. I did some mods on the kit, like took all the diehedreal out of the wing making it perfectly flat and clipped the last bay off each wing. I also cut a full 1 1/2 off the bottom of the fuse for the full length. I powered it with a Saito 50.

By the time I had finished with my first Tele, I had put over 450 flight on her! It was still in pretty decent flying shape when I sold it, which was the biggest mistake I've ever made. I will build another one some day! A great flying all around airplane! ( The other two I built for friends)
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks

Last edited by Gary Maker; 04-18-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #20
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bruce W

My 12" tele came in at slightly under 20lbs. I cut away lots of extra balsa and ply. Flys with authority with a Super Tiger 2500. I have the 8" and the and the next size down as well......can't seem to part with any of them as there all great flyers in that style.
MAAC# 44741
PS MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.