Pants are falling off - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Phil E. P

Total Props: 2
Pants are falling off

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What is a good way to install f/g wheel pants to a 5/32 piano wire. None of my planes ever had them.Thanks for your help.

pep is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:32 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 5

To the best of my knowledge, you will have a very difficult time getting the wheel pants to stay put by simply mounting them on the wire. A good way of mounting FG wheel pants is to glue a piece of aircraft ply on the inside of the pant (the side facing the landing gear). Then, drill 2 holes in the gear and in the pant inorder to put a screw through the gear and into the pant. use a blind nut on the inside of the pant to secure the screws. The attached picture should help shed some light on how I do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel_pant_485.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	16254  
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0
Not sure if you have room but I do almost the same but sometimes solder a thin brass sheet to a wheel coller, drill it out to fit the wire and glue or bolt the pant to the brass. This way with the coller there is a bit of give if you have a mishap.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Matthew Smerdon
Radio of choice:
Aroura 9
# of RCs: 4

If you want to attach the pant to wire landing gear, solder a washer at the bend, drill a 5/32 hole where the lg goes through the pant, and use a wheel collar inside. A way to prevent it from rotating around the wire is to either wire wrap and solder or use heat shrink tubing to attach another smaller wire with a u bend or circle at one end that sits against the side of the wheel pant, make sure there is a piece of ply inside pant and add a screw.

This is the same as I've seen skis held in place with wire landing gear
RCFlyingKnight is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Phil E. P

Total Props: 2
wheel pants

Thanks for your input guys,i appreciate the help.

pep is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: john g
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 DSMX

Total Props: 1
Here is yet another way!Take a servo arm drill out the center for the axle drill a hole on the side of the servo body file a flat spot on the wire.What you would end up with is a sevo arm on its side over the wire were you would put a screw through were the hole is to lock it(you need to have a flate spot on the wire) and with the sevro being side ways you can put two small screws throw the pant and into the servo arms.It works great for small planes but if its a larger one than silver soider brass plate to a wheel collar so it would look the same as the sevro arm but stronger.I have tried many ways of doing things and you just keep trying and you find alot of ways to do things.You can go to your LHS and find other ways to do it as there must be a dozen ways for of the shelf items.Hope it helps someone.
If I could fit in my plane I would
BigJohn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:25 AM   #7
RCC Expert Contributor

These work well and are cheap. The unit attaches to the wheel pant with screws and is then held to the gear wire with set screws. Use one on each side of the wheel if you have room. I've had good success with these, very sturdy.
MAAC 50249

Planes, Pedals, and Motorcycles! (In that order!)

I stopped being politically correct when I found out that some people were offended by it.
nosedive is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.