New pilot need advice - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2006, 06:06 AM   #11
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I also agree with the other guys. When I started out in this hobby I thought I would fly on my own, over a farmers field, have peace and quiet and nobody saying you should do this and that. Lucky for me, my local hobby shop really persuaded me to join a club. The benefits are enourmous, I had an excellant instructor which saved me at least a dozen model aircraft. The people that say you should do this and that are only trying to make things easier for you, plus the flying fields are excellant and well maintained for you. The club dues and insurance are minimal when you fly with good people who in the end will probably save you thousands of dollars in damaged equipment. Not only that, it is a whole lot safer flying with buddies. We all have bad days and things can turn bad really fast. I think the hour drive is worth it, try to make a day out of it.
dutchy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:26 AM   #12
Mitch Cronin
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mitch Cronin
# of RCs: 7?

I taught myself to fly in pretty much the same situation you sound as if you're in... These guys are all quite right, of course, but perhaps they don't really get the picture of being in the middle of nowhere? Birds, and bugs in trees aren't about to sue you.

I started with a gravel road... that didn't work very well... I moved up to a friends 10 acre field... shaped like a bowling alley and lined with poplar trees... That wasn't too bad, but the trees are a drag if you accidentally stray too close, or behind them even...

The best solution for me was to drive my little lawn tractor into a farm field left to it's own whims... and cut a swath about 40 ft wide by about 100 ft long (with an unobstructed approach on both sides)... I found the cut area, after several cuts, and with 3 inch wheels on a 40 size trainer (modified to be a tail dragger), was eventually good enough to take off from, but initially it was tough... Landings at first were usually somewhere near the cut swath in the tall weeds... but eventually I was able to make the thing set down on my "runway".

"Landing" a hardy trainer in tall grass or weeds usually won't hurt a darned thing. But trees, or corn will often improve your repairing skills. ... Likewise with soybean fields... They grow sparse and leave lots of hard ground around them.. they'll snag the gear and bring the nose down right-now like...

I glossed over it, but I think the tailwheel idea is probably one of the biggest deals if you're flying anywhere that's not a well prepared surface... With tricycle gear airplanes the nose wheel becoomes a problem... bends back, lowering the nose so the prop can snag... and often it won't let you steer it on the rough ground either. You'll need to move the main gear forward a bit... Best to remove the nosewheel, add the tailwheel, then find where the mains need to be to get the CofG right.
And for tires, think "tundra tires". ...light and big.

Cheers, and best of luck.

Mitch Cronin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:15 AM   #13
RCC Noob

Thank you very much for your reply, I am in the middle of nowhere and people don't seem to understand what that means. I know I should join a club but I am the kind of person who must learn the hard way first . I will take your advice once I find just the right place. If I end up crashing my and I am sure I will, I may consider flying at a flying field. But at the moment I live far away from the nearest flying field, and I don't like the idea of driving for a few hours to go and fly my little plane. If you want a sure way of dropping the hobby, driving all day to fly for a little is the way to go.
When I flew in the winter I had a blast, landing on an ice covered field was great and I was hooked, the field was 5 minutes away and I loved it. The last thing I wanna do is spend the whole day driving to and fro...
dvdk87 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:12 AM   #14
RCC Noob

I tried flying in the middle of nowhere and it sucks when you hit the only tree in the area, have to walk half a mile alone to get the bits and then put it back together alone with no advise. Do a proper field. Its worth the drive and the friendships.
Life suxs and then you crash
Stevehilton is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.