First attempts at flying off water - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2006, 12:16 PM   #11
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Bkind
Hi Dave looks like you're having fun. The Swan dunking teaches patience lol.
Hi Brian,

Yes I am having fun. I was wishing you had been there to give me some coaching, knowing how much float experience you have it would have been invaluable.

I couldn't believe how much water that engine swallowed! I took the plug out and gave it a spin with the electric starter, and I thought I had "Old Faithful" spouting in my face! What a geyser it was! Even after cranking it over several times I had what looked like water coming out so I said "to heck with it" and just pulled it out and dismantled it. I needed to replace the backplate anyway, as the needle valve mount had broken off (again) and was being kept from wandering with a rubber band. (I said it was a P.O.S. plane!)

B.T.W. I don't know if Peter B. mentioned it to you, but I have the Scale Rally on my schedule and expect to be employed. Keep me posted as to where I can fit into the scheme of things.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #12
cessna driver
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
pt 40 on floats

Thats an OS 46 AX with a 12x5 prop I believe. It works good with an 11x6 as well. The 46 has tones of power for that plane on floats. I originally had an OS 40 FP but that wasn't quiet enough power. That pic was taken when I first flew it on floats the big prop nut was for balance, I removed it after I moved the receiver and batter around to adjust the C of G.

cessna driver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #13
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Wayne J

Total Props: 0
When a two stroke engine gets dunked take the glow plug out and spin it with the starter making sure your eyes are well away! pour some raw fuel into the engine to suck up the remaining moisture (fill it with fuel through the carb) and spin it again. After this fire it up and let it run for a few minutes, the engine is now ready to roll. With a four stroke, unfortunately, you have to disassemble it to ensure all the water is out. Otherwise, the next time you run the engine you will have rust colored oil coming out the vent tube (speaking from first hand experience).

Jollidude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #14
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9
SureFlight Floats?

Hi Dave,

Do the floats have fore/aft 'stringers' molded in the fwd bottom and triangle fins aft?

If so they are SureFlight floats from the early 70's. I got a pair at the Toledo swap shop around 1974.

Mine are too small for .40 size and too heavy for smaller planes.

Work great off powder snow on .40 size...

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #15
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Well, looked at the floats when I got back out to the lake, and yup, they are GB floats. My Eldest son (who also flys RC) is in agreement with me that they are actually a bit too small for the plane.

I moved the plane back about 3/4 of an inch and it gets off better, (twice yesterday, as a matter of fact) but still not great. Both times I landed ok, but the winds....

Well the wind caught it the first time and flipped it, and the second time a wave got up to the prop and when it cut into that it pulled itself over onto its back.

It was kinda hilarious watching what unfolded next. The plane is on its back floating on the wing. The wind lifted the tail and it went nose down. A few seconds later, flipped onto its floats! Then wind under a wing and it flipped diagonally onto its back, then nose down, then back on its floats.. about five times before I could get out to it.

In any case, I think I may try and make some longer floats out of foam and see how that works out. I have reams of info on doing it, the calculations and all that stuff; its just finding the time to actually DO IT!
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #16
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7
Sounds like you are now hooked. Enjoy!
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:14 AM   #17
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Jason H

Total Props: 1
I have an Ace Seamaster that is a lot of fun off the water. It can handle some pretty rough stuff. My best to date is about 3' waves on lake Erie. Big hand toss to make sure I had enough speed to plane right away(you have to skip it like a rock on the wave crests). Thank god for the TTpro 46 w/11x5 prop. Landing in a cross wind in a lull makes it pretty interesting. Would have taken another flight but found a loose hinge on my second preflight.
Jason Holdaway

In theory, everything works.
Patch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.