Looking for fellow sailplane flyers in Moncton, NB - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Looking for fellow sailplane flyers in Moncton, NB

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi, my name is Emile Cormier and I started flying sailplanes last year. I'd like to get in touch with others who share my addiction, or who'd like to try it out.

I have a buddy box and trainer cable if anyone would like to try out my trainer (House of Balsa 2x6).

I know of two big public fields nearby, and two spots in southern NB where you can go sloping.

Maybe we could start some kind of informal club or something?
ecormier is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice

I joined the Greater Moncton Aeromodelers Club a few weeks ago, and they've been very nice about sharing their field with a glider guy. I electrified my 3-meter, so I can launch from the runway, with no histart to cause any problems.

A couple of fellas at that club have flown gliders before. Maybe their interest in gliders can be rekindled?

The field is surrounded by a (cooler) river, so lots of lift can be found. Hawks can be seen soaring there from time to time. Today, I caught a boomer of a thermal! Full spoilers and putting the bird into a spin would barely get it down. I thought for sure it would get sucked into a cloud. I then decided to just dive out and away from the lift, then eventully I got out.

I beat my thermalling record today (a measly 15.5 minutes). I still got a lot of learning ahead of me before I can get >1hr flights. I think my problem right now is that I'm too eager to turn whenever the glider signals lift. Maybe I should be more picky and watch for the glider to actually rise before taking a thermal for a ride?

Anyways, I invite any sailplane lurkers in the area to check that place out.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 5

Glad to hear that your having a great time. I believe we spoke on the phone a few weeks ago? (my name is Mark Ramsay by the way). I was just talking to Jason the other day and i said i've never been at the field in the evening yet this summer. Either i have been traveling or the weather has been crappy or the field has been flooded (which it is right now). I ususally go in the evenings this time of year seeing as we can fly right up until 9:30, if it's not a cloudy day. When do you usually go to the field? I hope to see some gliders there as i've never seen any real soaring in my years of being a member. I've thought about giving it a try and it looks very relaxing. The GMAC club has a website has a system where we can post what day we are going flying and whatnot so whenever you are heading out the field, just post something and i'll see if i can come out and check it out....and i'll be sure to bring something that will make lots of noise..LOL. Hope to see you there soon.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice

I usually go between 11:00 and 15:00, as this is the peak for thermal activity. I use the "who's flying" thingie at the GMAC website.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.