General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
ANYONE who tells anyone in this hobby, that switching from 15% nitro fuel, to 10 or 5% fuel will "cause major power loss" - is, well, either lying or misinformed. Its an easy test - just run both fuels in the same engine with the same prop/plug combo on the same day and tach them.

If you read my engine reviews in Fly RC, I often test the engines with at least 2 and sometimes 3 fuels (5, 10, 15 and sometimes 30%) and unless you increase the nitro content more than 15% you will see minimal gains (in most of the sport engines we run, ie, untuned general engines like OS, Supertigres, etc).

In many engines switching just 5% (like 5 to 10, or 10 to 15 - up or down) will at best lose or gain a few hundred RPM to (depending upon the prop maybe 400 to 500 rpm). Basically 2 to 4% power difference. Its hardly going to affect your plane's performance unless its flying on the edge of marginal already (in which case a larger engine, not more nitro would be the best fix).

I remember 15 years ago when I started flying regularly and buying more fuel, I used to buy 15% fuel because I thought it would be "better". Now I fly a lot of 5%, and 10% fuel - just because its cheaper, basically as good, and sometimes based more on the recomendations of the manufacturer.

Oh yeah - thats one thing a lot of guys seem to forget. SOme manufacturers (like JEN and MVVS for example) recommend you run 5% because thats how they are set up to run (head design and compression) and trying to squeak a few extra rpms by running more nitro will cause preignition and rough running and in worse cases, damage to the piston & rod.

Just my opinion based on some empirical testing, and running the various fuels in a wide variety of engine brands and displacement sizes.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:29 AM   #12
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 0
Where can I purchase XP in Southern Ontario?Skycraft has stopped selling it.Can I order it in?
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Groucho Marx

Maac # 60449
bigguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.