HOw long do you cut the grass at the field? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan P

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The way we see it at Humber Valley, the grass is supposed to be there only to keep the dirt from being kicked up, so our Kub Kadet is set to the lowest setting.

Cant wait until it gets so hot that the sun burns the grass and it stops growing.

The dandelions pose a greater problem because they spring back up after a day, and they've been known to whiplash over the leading edge of a wing while taxing and poke a hole through the covering with the head.
Dan "Buzz" Paluzzi
MAAC# 38730
Secretary/Treasurer Humber Valley RC Flyers
MAAC R/C Scale Combat Committee
Buzz is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:02 PM   #12
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Steve B

Total Props: 1
Speaking of burning John, just remember who'll be holding the fire extinguisher for you at the field!!

I'm sure just before you do your first flight with the L-39, there'll be some extra "fertilizer" where you're standing!! No need to worry about the "smoking hole", that right is reserved for my F-20!!
Safety Precautions: Do not touch the rolling airscrew in order not to be hurt!

I'd like to offer you moral support, but I have questionable morals!
Leadfoot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #13
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Mike P

The grass at the OMFC North Field is pretty good. The terrain of the field is worse than the grass because it has a lot of bumbs and dips. Nothing can really be done about that. Danady Lions are also a huge problem as they pop up overnight.
The Town of Milton doesn't exactly take good care of the surrounding park. For those who know the field, at one point I was told it was cut right up to the golf course, then the town cut back their parks and rec budget and it has been left to grow wild. If the club didn't cut the field, that would all be brush and hawthorns.
Currently driving: HPI Savage X SS 4.6 / Traxxas Mini E-Revo
Find me a the Milton Fair Grounds any sunny weekend.
orenda635 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #14
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Originally Posted by JohnnyHotRocks
Leadfoot wrote:
Inch and a half would be a welcome sight!!
It would be too easy to burn you with your choice of words on this one I won't

Hopefully next month you can take off in the burn marks that I leave with the L-39 (I'm hoping it will be a long straight burn mark rather that a smokin' hole )
The worst that I've heard recently was my wife talking about the security guard at work and the fact that his handshake is limp. Conversation went on that she really can't stand wet handshakes, to which her co-worker quipped "the limp ones usually are wet...."

Think about it and groan!
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #15
I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
Our feild has a new problem and it's not the length of the grass. I was out flying last wednesday and this was my first flight of the season so I had the ole utility plane up in the air and the usual first flight of the year jitters in my knees. I was coming in for a landing and to this point everything went well. 10 minutes of just flying figure 8's, just trying to get the flying fingers back in order especially after flying an electric heli all winter. I was coming in for a landing and all looked good until from the longer a grass a f%$# turkey took a flying leap leap at my plane. It narrowly missed and I powered up and went around for another try as I spyied it running into the bush.
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #16
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30
Originally Posted by flysrcs
...I was coming in for a landing and all looked good until from the longer a grass a f%$# turkey took a flying leap leap at my plane. ..
Now THAT is a new twist on the hobby!!
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Lawn Maintenance

I will add the educated version to this post.

There is nothing wrong with rolling. When I say rolling I mean a 300 lb water filled roller instead of the 3-4 ton that some people use Aka Construction roller.
It will firm in any grass that has heaved over the winter.
Fertilize Get a good bag of fertilizer. Apply it at the rates the bag says. Reasonable sources for fertilizer are the co-op. TSC. Some farm stores etc. Buy a fertilizer with a 50-60 SCU (SULPHUR COATED UREA) IT will be slow steady realease over the summer.
Top dress and over seed. Get a few yards of good screened top soil. A peice of chain link fence with a frame around it makes a good drag. Put some on the drag and drag it length wise on field. Any low spots the soil falls through and fills it up. Seed field with good grass seed at about 1-1.5 lbs per 1000 sq. feet. The seed you buy should be one mixed for low maintenance/low water requirements. Speare seed is one supplier
Length to cut it. You can get away in spring at less the 2" Ideally over the hot summer best to keep it around 2-2 1/2 inches.
This is my opinion.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #18
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Dave, I'd almost call it a tall tale but things like that have been happening around town over the last few years.

Big white swan decides to land on a main road and walk around while the local police tried to keep traffic from hitting the bird. I was driving by and this was one BIG bird!

Re-introduced turkey population over the last years have been productive -- one decided to run through town.

Then there was the bear. The coyotes. Just waiting for the first cougar spotting (one seen near London Ontario but not official until you pack in a carcass and you can't shoot them because they're protected....)

Deer, raccoons and skunks are common as dirt -- south of town is the Oak Ridges Moraine, massive land feature (glacial tip/ridges) that's reserved parkland in the core areas and where development hasn't started (and won't too!)
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #19
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Stefan J

We had a Moose running around town, sure was lost as Sarnia is no where near Moose territory.

As for grass, we joke that we don't cut the grass, we manicure it. It is short enough that my minifuntana takes off no problem, and even the scratch built electric in my profile pic running a 370 outrunner on 2 cell lipos takes off no problem. We cut twice a week in the growing season but often down to once a week or once every 2 weeks in the summer when it stops growing.
jacksost is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:44 AM   #20
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

You guys making me hungry
Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.