RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thanks for the link. You can never stop learning. I just printed it and will post it in my shop.

I cycle my batteries every fall and spring using an accucycler. I must admit it sometimes takes a few cycles until I am happy with the capacity. I have been trial and erroring and stop cycling when I can't get any more capacity in.

What's the deal here on field quick chargers? I build a lot of 2300 nimh rx packs and usually keep them topped during flying season using my Hobbico field charger. I do it around 1.2 amps. I was always under the understanding that:
1) you can charge at a rate up to 2X capacity for nicads or nimh and 2) That you couldn't top your pack out with a low trickle charge.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:10 AM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Thought you guys might like an update on this subject .Today i phoned Energizer . To recap -- I have just got 2 new 4-packs of AA's 2500mhN/hd , not made up . Have charged both on a slow rate & on my Piranna at fast rate . 5 times each charged &then on the Accu-cycle . one pack max was 2000mh other was 1750mh max . So Energizer told me ---- " the amount of batts that we make it is impossible to have them all read the 2500mh , 1750mh is good " I said how i read that below 70% value of a batt; we should dump them . That 1750 is already 70% of 2500mh. They said "cycle batt; & one should use the cycle figure i;e; 1750 as the figure to deduct the 70 % from , rather than the 2500mh "
I have friend who bought a batt; from hobby store & has same deal with the cycle reading . This puts a whole new light on the throw away time doesn't it !!!
taildraggers fly best
Hurri is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #13
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob the Builder

Total Props: 0
One note... the Accucyle cuts off charging (switches to trickle) after q5 hours. If you charge at 25 mA, the max it will put in is 375, but due to efficiency you will read something less. On 50 mA it will only put in 750... more likely something less... these numbers sound similar to what you got in your original post.

Second point... save yourself a headache... buy Sanyo batteries. They are the only brand battery I can recommend. The capacities are always good. There is an industry standard on rating capacity, and 1750 70% is not it! (I think it's like 90%-95%... can't remember).

Some GREAT Sanyo cells are the 1950 FAUP and the 1100... don't know the designation. It's in the NOBSBatteries site... it has very low (7mo) internal resistance.

Initial charge should be at C/10 (or 250mA for a 2500mAh pack). The Sanyo data sheets say the charge their batteries for 16 hours at this rate... I wouldn't go quite that long... I'd go 12 hours. I also put a temp snesor on them so if they get warm the charge stops.

Companies rate discharge at C/5 (500mA for a 2500mAh pack).

Also, Red Schoefield (RC Battery Guru) says to discard (recycle NiCd) packs when they drop below 80% capacity. Also... if you charge your packs and let them sit for a week then test them, if they test a lot lower than they were you should toss 'em... seperator is breaking down and they are discharging themselves.

OverTemp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.