Best bang for the buck radio setup? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Steve R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Best bang for the buck radio setup?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm a newb with a T hawk with the stock 27 mhz 3 channel radio.It seems to be a bit glitchy and I will be replacing it with something that will be useful to me down the road.At this point I don't see glow engines happening ever....Probably bigger electrics though,possibly dabble in AP later.Price is definitely an object
Was thinking along the lines of 6 channel computer radio...any suggestions?
Bull is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Alex D

You cant go wrong with a JR 6102, and it can grow with you to nitro, electric, heli's, etc. I started with one and loved it. You cant beat JR quality in that price range IMO.

MAAC Member #75939

TRex 600N Pro FBL, TRex 600E CF, T-500E GF, T-Rex 450L 6S Dominator, TRex 550 DFC, DJI Phantom, DJI 550 H33d, DJI S1000 Z15
Heli3dflyr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob the Builder

If you are going to switch to 72 MHz then make sure there are no clubs within 5km of where you fly... you can kill someone... literally.
OverTemp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:16 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

The new Spektrum radio is good too. Don't have to worry about frequencies, receivers are about 20 or 30 dollars less, They are designed for small airplanes as well. A bit cheaper than the 6102, a few less features, but alot of them are still there.
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:35 AM   #5
RCC Apprentice
I am: Steve R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Closest club to me is approx 40 km as the crow flies ...I'll have a good look @ the spektrum is the range on those?
Thanks guys!
Bull is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:46 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Originally Posted by Heli3dflyr
You cant go wrong with a JR 6102
Second that, I've been flying mine for a couple years, reliable and great features.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:52 AM   #7
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
This radio “The Best Bang for The Buck” debate comes up every few months and the same scenario unfolds. Everyone argues for their personal choice some even relate horror stories of other brands. Why not give the newbie the best advice. Reality check if there was one brand that was better than any of the others why would anyone buy anything else. We have every brand in use at our field and every price range. They all operate as they were designed as long as proper care and usage as per manufacturer’s instructions are followed.

Most radio problems can be traced to pilot error. Poor maintenance of equipment and batteries, improper installation including servos to small to do the job and the worst is equipment that has been crashed transferred to another airplane without proper service. The list could go on forever.

Yes there are a few instances of radio equipment not working right straight out of the box but you get the same from a $30,000 plus vehicle as well.

Newbie’s picking a radio might want to check the local club to see what brand the majority of instructors are familiar with. Buying a radio this way will give you a better than average chance someone may already have a buddy cord and would be more than willing to teach you on a buddy box system.

All radio companies make entry level radios and at this level the investment is not that great. Most long time modelers have more than one radio so forget about buying that all in one, do everything radio right off the bat you will save yourself a bundle. Chances are your first few planes will not use much more than 5 channels at most.

Last of all and most important YOU are the one using this equipment so do your homework, read, ask questions not about which radio is best but features that you might want. Then buy the radio that suits your needs. If you can spend time at a hobby shop or club and hold a few radios to see which ones feel most comfortable for you.

Most newbie’s we run into are looking to buy an all inclusive package. Since we have buddy boxes for every brand at the club it matters not what they buy we will be able to accommodate them. It then becomes their personal choice as to the style and looks of the airplane involved. I do not remember any ever saying they were sorry they had purchased one of these packages and wish they had picked another. We even had one student crash his Nextar Deluxe and guess what the company followed up on their guarantee and replaced it free of charge supporting their claim to guarantee you will learn to fly without crashing with their product or they would replace or fix it free of charge.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.