Safety at Canadian Jet meets - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #21
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
No need for apologies Ed, I was trying to re-assure you of the intent of the post. I agree that communication is key and every event that I have been to has had good flight line control communication and beyond the flight line as well.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:03 AM   #22
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18 MZ
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 8

In order to comply with the safety regs we will require that a range check be performed at Jets Over Leamington. I'm investigating a separate area at the field to perform this. Can we agree on how to do one please. Do we put the model on a table and rotate around it, how far do we go?
Please let me know.

Peter Doupnik
MAAC Jet Committee Member
Deputy South West Zone Director
Member of JPO
Deputy Director - Pickled Pilot Squadron
RC_MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:09 AM   #23
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
There will be lots of answers on this one, but typical check is approx 7" of antenna extended and about 150 paces should ensure all functions are A OK.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #24
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
I for one am all for this, as well as a check of the transmitter for proper frequency ID.

Ron Ballard
NO1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #25
RCC Contributor
I am: Len G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 3
Range Check

Hi Guys,
As far as a range check is concerned, MAAC regs require this before each session of flying. What a "session" is exactly, leaves something open to interpretation. I am thinking once per day at the same location, unless something happens to require a re-check.

The base value of 150 paces (~450 feet) is too broad a stroke for all radios. I have one that will do that and a lot more, but another that will not as its RF output transistor deck is designed somewhat differently, and the manufacturer recommends 90 to 110 feet (30 to 40 paces). As long as the owner is knowledgeable on the subject of his/her radio I think all we need to do is require a range check. However; we cannot quantitatively apply a single standard to all radios. Also several brands do not require any antenna extension to range check while others require a single segment.

The above information is crucial to the proper range checking of any radio. My sense of the issue is that ALL modellers should know the range checking requirements of their radio(s), and if not they should not be flying even a .40 sized trainer, much less a turbine powered jet.

The value of a range check is to see if the known range has changed significantly (I use 15% as a rule of thumb). Any change in range of this magnitude denotes a power output fluctuation or an outside RF noise interference source. Either way it means an investigation is required. This is simply one of the many checks we all do on our models and radios on a routine basis. There is no need to legislate how or what we do, but simply to require that it IS done!

By the way, where John and I fly (municipal airport) there are a lot of buried cables for landing lights etc. and they do strange things to a range check when the Tx is passed over them... Again as long as we do it in the same location and in the same manner each time, then we get enough data to surmise if there is a change significant enough to warrant investigation. The wildcard for Leamington is that none of the people travelling to the meet have ever done a range check there, so comparing a range check on site to known range data is even more significant.

Sorry to prattle on so...
Len is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.