Black Horse Mustang ARF - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
ARF / ARC Aircraft Discuss anything and everything ARF or ARC related.

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Black Horse Mustang ARF

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just picked up a Black Horse 60 size Mustang ARF. To me it looks awesome for the price. I as yet have not started to build but I'm impressed with what I see. The quality seems very good to excellent. A lot of the hardware is included in the kit. It has flaps and retracts and the rudder uses a pull-pull system. The retracts may be a little problem as I fly off grass. I will keep you posted here as I progress in the next week or so.

Has anyone else any experience with this particular kit???
freebelle2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4
I'm curious, is Black Horse made by Seagull or Phoenix models or did they buy out one of these companies??
Dave V.
Burlington Radio Control Modelers
Team Skycraft
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:17 AM   #3

Black Horse Models are made in Vietnam, the company was started by the son of the guy who owns Seagull.
I built one of the Mustangs for a store display, it went together quite well.
The only issues I had where the vertical stab needed a bit of trimming to get it flush with the fuselage, and be very careful putting the wells in the wings for the retracts as there is no support under the wing sheeting, if I built another one, I would sheet in the wells with balsa, rather than use the plastic wells that come with the plane (I may even do that to this one, if I keep it)
I mounted a Saito .91 4-stroke inverted, and it fits nicely under the cowl, with no cutting, a .61 2-stroke with a Bisson inverted muffler should fit as well.
If you have any questions, pm me.
Good luck with the build.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
RCC Noob

retract servo

I am using JR equipment. Is the JRPS791 retract servo the one to use???
It is rated at 260 oz-in torque and rate of 1.55sec/60 degrees.

What is the need to reinforce the wheel well?? Is there pressure there that I'm not considering??

The vertical stab seems to fit nicely on this model. That's the thing about ARFs they all vary slightly.
freebelle2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:33 PM   #5

The JR retract servo will work fine, it is actually better than the Hitec retract servo that I used, the JR has twice the torque, and half the speed, so should be a little more realistic in operation (I may have to look at switching mine)
Look at the wheel wells on the wing, and notice how on one side all you have is the wing sheeting, with no support under it. When you install the plastic wheel wells, they are a snug fit and the wing sheeting will have a tendancy to push in and crack at this point. I also found that the wing has a slight contour to it, but the retract wells do not, so you have to "play" with them a bit, to get them to sit flush.
When you install the flap servos, be sure to place one link to the inside and one link to the outside of the servos, I like mine to be symetrical, so I placed them both to the inside, but to do this you must take one servo apart and rewire it to run in reverse, or your flaps will act like ailerons!
One other thing I should mention, This plane sits low, there is less than 1" clearance to the belly scoop, so you should bend the tail wheel down to give it a bit more, and be very carefull flying off grass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang3_710.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	17027   Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang2_128.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	17028   Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang1_650.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	17029  
  Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.