Mounting cowl - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2006, 06:51 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Mounting cowl

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Guys just wondering how you mount the cowl to prevent it cracking.
I think I read somewhere using fuel tubing to absorb the vibration, but I can't find it now.

I am looking for the best way to prevent cracking and splitting, any ideas would help. I did a search but either I missed it or typed wrong info.
Thanks in advance.
It wasn't a crash it was deconstruction for improving
maac 73408

Alan Brace
abcool is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

I've used 2 methods

1: Rubber grommets . Though you can get ones setup for helis or servos, you can actually go to CTC and puy them; depending what size you want. These assist in absorbing the vibrations that can crack a cowl.

2. Epoxy a block of thin light ply on the inside of the cowl where the holes go. Though probably my second best method, it does reduce the risk of the screw hole expanding and causing cracking.

I'm sure there are other methods, this is what I use.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
I've learned a couple things the hard way over the years. Heres what works for me.

Make sure the retaining screw is perfectly flush to the cowl. If there is any angle at all, the vibration of the motor will cause cracking.

Drill a mounting hole in your cowl using a high speed dremel or a fine file. A drill bit will leave rough edges that tend to crack.

I have been using round servo grommetts in the mounting holes. Go to your LHS and dig thru their box of servo supplies behind the counter.

Use a small flat washer under the head of your mounting screw to spread the load on the rubber grommet.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
Ed Smith

In addition to all of the above, keep the mounting screws away from the edges of the cowl. The further away the better.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Hi Alan,

You could also drill a hole and add Nyrod tubine in the hole, make sure its flushed from inside and cowl and angiles are stright, i have used this methord and it worked for me, what type of cowl are you using, is it plastic or fiberglass?
Also try to drill hole away from the joining seam if possible to prevent cracking..
Do sign the petiton. We could Save our Connie CF-TGE, We still have chance, Once gone we will lose our History and Heritage forever....
Concordefan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15
What I have used in the past, that worked well for me, is to CA a small square (1/2" square) piece of fibreglass cloth or carbon fibre cloth to the inside of whatever you are attaching to the airframe. This can be done either before or after you drill the mounting holes. Using this method is quick and simple - it has never failed me. One caution, if you use carbon fibre cloth the dark colour may show through thinner plastic or fibreglass parts

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Ralph B

Has any one ever heard or tried the cowl ring method.You bolt a hard wood ring to the firewall and the outer portion of the ring is glued to the inside of the cowl.I would like to try it but I am not sure what glue is used to glue the fiberglass cowl to the wood.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Groucho Marx

Maac # 60449
bigguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
Originally Posted by bigguy
Has any one ever heard or tried the cowl ring method.You bolt a hard wood ring to the firewall and the outer portion of the ring is glued to the inside of the cowl.I would like to try it but I am not sure what glue is used to glue the fiberglass cowl to the wood.
Iv'e tried this method with a 1/5th scale Pica Waco. I used PFM to glue the wooden ring to the fibre glass cowl. In canada I believe PFM is called GOOP. There are many different kinds of GOOP but Iv'e been told they are all the same. Please others feel free to correct me if I have the product names confused.
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:44 PM   #9
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
I have pretty much switched over to the cowl ring method.

The initial glue joint cowl to ring isnt important but the fit to the fuse is.

You can use goop or equivalent,30 min epoxy thickened with cornstartch,epoxy with some fibreglass chopped up and added etc etc

Mount the ring to the firewall and the cowl to the ring using a stick and some of the above glue methods ..........only a couple of dabs are needed.
Let them set up then remove the cowl and ring assembley from the fuse .
Then put a bead of whatever glue completely around the cowl ring joint.
I use a long allen key ,4/40 allan bolts,and blind nuts on the inside of the firewall to mount the cowl.
Have never had a cowl come loose ,crack ,or give any trouble whatsoever since using this method on all sizes of models up to 60cc IMAC gassers.
This is a particularly nice touch on scale models without the mounting screws showing with traditional mounting practices.
will get you the instruction manual for the GP Christen Eagle Bipe which uses this cowl mounting method........its on page 20.
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:48 AM   #10
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Try gluing an CA Hinge to the inside of the cowl where each screw hole will be and use a rubber grommet in the hole. I like to use machine screws into threaded inserts or "T"- nuts over using just wood screws into the hardwood block.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.