Hooking up giant scale control surfaces - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2006, 07:05 AM   #11
Garrett Fisher
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
LOL, I think I had a bit of a briain freeze when I posted before. I forgot that this is a trainer. In that case a matchbox would probably be over kill.

Also, you probably still nedd 2 servos to run the rudder if you are using standard ones, or you could go with a single high torque servo or 1/4 scale servo on the rudder. And I'd still recommend a pull-pull system. If you're not fond of running the lines, you could mount your rudder servo on the bottom of the fuse, centered, and run a pushrod to each side of the rudder.
Garrett Fisher is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:14 AM   #12
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

Originally Posted by Garrett Fisher
Ditto on that. I have 2 servos it the tail of my 30% Edge with no problems. I braided (not twisted) the leads and installed Toroid Ring on them. Any servo lead over 2 feet should have a choke or ferrite ring in my opinion.

All this may be overkill but I've also never had a single glitch with the 4 foot servo extensions.

I also used 4-40 threaded rod for my linkages with Dubro Ball Links. After test fitting the rod length I slid a length of carbon fiber tube over the threaded rod in the center, leaving an 1/8" thread to the ball link on each end, to renforce it. Then dabbed a few drops of thin CA in the ends to hold it from sliding around. The linkages are solid like steel and lighter than using a single heavy rod.
Because of very long wire lengths, I use an 8 channel glitch buster on my bird. It's all part of reducing as much risk as possible. To get hit by stray EMI would be disasterous and too late to make a decision to install one or not. They are relatively cheap compared to the price of adding a little peace of mind to your expensive project.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b17_nov_8_2005_830.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	17312  
Mike Emilio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 AM   #13
RCC Senior Contributor

Mike, thanks for the reply. Well I think I can swing $80 or some piece of mind Even though this isnt a very expensive project to start with, iterferecne is a pretty big concern due to the magneto ignition on my engine.

KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.