Landing gear sequencer - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1
Landing gear sequencer

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just thought I'd pass along some info.

I had bought a gear sequencer made by EMS Jomar in California intending on using it in my Typhoon to control the gear and inner gear doors. This unit is roughly the size of a box of matches. It has 2 pots for adjusting gear and door servo delays and has 4 switches, for setting door position, gear storage, door servo reverse, and simultaneous or sequential gear servos. Not bad for (if I remember correctly) $40 US.
The only problem is that the gear must be set up so that the gear is down with the servo is in the wide or 2.0 msec position and extended with the servo is in the narrow or 1.0 msec position. That's all fine and good if you A. can figure the narrow and the wide out, B. read over and fully understand these instructions, C. don't by the wing with the servos already installed and just sheet over the whole shooting match because you know the builder is an excellent builder and lastly D. read the instructions before you sheet over the wing.
I found out the hard way that the sequencer sees my gear down as up and visa versa. What to do?? Rip a newly finished wing to pieces to get at these retract servos. Aaaahhhhh, I kinda wanted to avoid any cost. I dug around the net and found:

GDC gear sequencer made in Winnipeg! After reading an article on the website from RCM magazine and e-mailing Geoff, we determined that his sequencer should work. The cool thing about his sequencer is you do the programing. You purchase an adapter cable ($15) that goes between your computer and the sequencer and you download the program from his site. And you follow the easy instructions. Select gear doors open, double click on the "doors open slot" and it automatically puts the numbers in that slot. So the sequencer knows, when it sees this value the door servos are in the open position. You then repeat for doors closed and then continue on with the gear servos. After that you can manually put in 0-9.9 second delay into the door servos on the close cycle to allow the gear to get into the bay first before starting to move. You can also click the "Slow door servo" box so the doors have a more realistic speed, instead of snapping open and closed.

Oh ya, the GDC sequencer is solid state, no pots to adjust, or vibrate loose etc, and is about 1 1/2"x3"x1/4" and weighs a few ounces.

Though it did cost more (about $80 US with the cable, module, freight and GST ) The GDC sequencer was a much better design, easier to set up and use. How's that for a little bit of Canadian technology!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gdc1_whole_885.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	17317   Click image for larger version

Name:	jomar_seq_671.gif
Views:	184
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	17318  
Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike s

Total Props: 9
I have the Jomar gear sequencer installed on my Corsair and I had the same issue. I solved the problem by installing a inline servo reverser on the gear servo.

Everything worked out great once I got everything moving in the right direction.

Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.