Is MAAC necessary - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
$75/ 12 months = $6.25 per month Is it really that expensive??????
Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:05 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
$1.44 per week,

.20 per day

Let's go for coffee and discuss this:

Coffee for two= $3.00
A couple dognuts= $1.50
Gas to get there= $2.00

There, we just spent enough to cover a month of MAAC!
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike S

Normally I reserve opinion on MAAC matters but I feel I should speak up for the new member who posed the question. It is rather harsh to say that if you can't afford 75$ you shouldn't be in the hobby. I don't agree with that statement, it only drives people away from the get go.

There are lots of people out there including younger people (who don't qualify for the student rate) who may get there start in aeronautics through R/C flying. 75$ for a person with a part time summer job is expensive. For example some of the new electric ready to fly packages cost around 200$. 75$ is a good chunck of the price of one of those packages and I can see the extra 75$ being a stumbling block.

I have always been a member of MAAC since I started in 1997. I don't get involved in MAAC activities anymore because I move on a regular basis for school and it is difficult to belong to one club for any decent length of time.

I would agree that joining MAAC for 75$ is reasonable. You do get a magazine with good articles and the latest hobby shop deals etc and insurance coverage. To be honest I don't even know if I qualify for the insurance anymore because I fly off the lake at my parents home. I will likely still join MAAC when my 3yr runs out.

To directly answer the question first posed I must say this. MAAC is not enforced by law. So long as you do not break the Canadian Air Regulations (ie flying near full size airports or flying aircraft above a certain weight) you can fly R/C planes. If you wish to learn to fly at a club and they require MAAC then, well you have to pay-up its that simple. If you plan on going out to a field and learning on your own or getting a buddy to show you then you don't have to pay. Obviously there is risks to doing the later, like being caught tresspassing if you don't own the property or crashing because the person teaching is not experienced. That being said all of the accidents I have heard of involving RC planes have occured at clubs or RC events.

Basically it boils down to this, there are risks in life and not everything is free, so make your own decision.
MikeSac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:23 PM   #14
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

Originally Posted by Norm
Well I'll step up and say I find MAAC expensive!! I don't agree with this "if you can't afford $75.00 then you shouldn't be in the hobby" crap. I as well as many others out there have a tiny rc budget every year. When the price of MAAC goes up it keeps taking a chunk out of my spending allowance. Like alot of people out there I have other commitments before this hobby. Money doesn't grow on trees people!!!!

My $0.02 anyways
I agree with you Norm. Many can spend thoudsands a year on this hobby and $75 is nothing to them. Being told to go find another hobby because you are not as well off financially as some others does nothing to promote the wonderful fraternity of MAAC.
DX18 Stealth, H9 Inversa 33, H9 33% Edge, H9 33% Decathlon.
Terry Gauvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
Ryan Davison
RCC Senior Contributor

House insurance

Ive heard from a guy I know that your house insurance actually covers some things you do outside of your home.
I havent looked it up yet but somthing to think about.
Sombody must cover you if you rear end a guy in his ferarri with your bycycle.
Your house insurance covers alot apparently or so I heard.
Wonder if it would cover a guy flying a park flier at a public field or park?

Probally no hope for a guy flying a Huge gasser with a da100 on it in a puplic place because that would be just stupid anyway.

Should look into it.

As far as maac goes You need it to fly with a Club that is with maac.

Fees Fees fees

It cost me 140$ a year to fly locally .

65$ For a club Fee which covers the cost of maintenance (cutting grass) and goes towards the cost of the land. And then 75$ for MAAC

Thats like giving up a Funtana 40 Every 2 years.

Gotta do what you gotta do
Flyin Ryan
Ryan Davison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #16
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jon A

Message erased.................
Did you hear about the man that fell into the upholstery machine? He's fully recovered.
Jon. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #17
RCC Contributor

Re: Is MAAC necessary

Originally Posted by Jon.
Not that im trying to complain, but do you have to have MAAC by law? I know I need it to fly at a club but $75 a year seem's like a lot to spend just to fly models. Is MAAC the only insurance out there or Is there a cheaper organization? $75 could buy a lot of fuel.
i personally think that it depends on WHAT you fly and HOW well you fly it!

i think parkflyers need MAAC ,like the soapbox boys need the NHRA

on the other hand ,there are many planes that should never be flown anywhere without insurance

my biggest question relating to MAAC affiliation is the dangers involved to myself as i fly at some of these fields!

as a glider pilot i have been subject to many near hits that where comletely avoidable if i where flying somewhere on my own

having said that ,,,i do have MAAC becuase i agree with the others,,its a great deal and ALL clubs require it!

theres no place,like cloud base!
j-coles is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #18
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

It seems alot of people think of MAAC as a great deal, and yes I would agree. But keep in mind that there doesn't seem to be any other Canadian competition, so it becomes sole source. In a competative world this is not a very good scenario as it leaves the buyers with no recourse of shopping around. Like any other business, it turns a profit. By providing all the extras, over and beyond the bare bones of the insurance coverage, this now becomes additional services. Personnally, I just like to fly, but unfortunately the fees include for services and other various funds that I will never have need for. I'm sure one day some enterprising young fellow will endorse a similar blanket insurance policy for just what you need, without all the xtra services that you don't need.
I think bare bones competition would scare the heck out of MAAC.

Sivli wrote "MAAC is the governing body for Model aeronatics in Canada"

I only view this as their own marketing statement because I have no reference to any Government endorsement as such.

I guess I kind of lean towards the views of new / young people who have limited funds but still want to learn something that only a very small percentage of people know how to do.
Mike Emilio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #19
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
Hi Jon:

Here's the short ans accurate answer - NO you do not need MAAC to fly, there is no law of any kind about that. Having said that, I can maybe clarify a couple things. If you join a MAAC sanctioned club you will have to join MAAC. A condition of Club MAAC sanctioning is that all members of the sanctioned club, be MAAC members. You will have diffuculty finding a non MAAC sanctioned club but they do exist.

One of the benefits of belonging to MAAC is the $5,000,000 group liability policy that is arranged for the members in the event of a personal injury or property damage claim you may get involved in if you have an accident with your plane. You may be covered under your parents home insurance or your personal home insurance, but it is doubtful, you should check with your insurance broker.

As far as the claims/statements by others that someone should get a more competitive quote and MAAC has a monopoly on this, don't be holding your breath on that one. I am an insurance broker and I can't even imagine the change it would take in the insurance world and the liberal court awards to end to let this happen. The day in fact may come that MAAC will be unable to arrange the amounts and types of coverage we currently have.

Don't pay too much head to the guys that apparently jumped on you, they mostly mean well. It is a deal. Be aware of the guys that will tell you there is probably something cheaper and better / they say that about everything.

Welcome to the hobby and the sport. You'll get a lot of help if you ask, and have a lot of fun too. Be cautious about asking for opinions, because everybodies got one whether it is from sound fact or they dreampt it up last night during some kind of vision.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #20
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

Well put!
Mike Emilio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.