Balance, and Monokote - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Balance, and Monokote

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just have acouple of questions. I have been working on a PT-40 Trainer plane, and everything has gone almost to plan. Now, the instructions say to balance the plan (from left to right), which I have done, but, I only used a $1.30 close to the right wing tip (looking at the plane, oposite side of the muffler). Is this a normal amount of weight? I have no idea how much $1.30 (canadian) wieghts, but I figured it would require more weight since they sell lead at the hobby shop to accomplish this task. (i was figuring it would hit the $4.00 mark for pocket change.)

On another topic, I have started to monokote the plane, and having some small difficulties with making it around corners. Flat surfaces are nice and easy, but when I go around the outside of a bend I tend to get little wrickles that are difficult to get rid of. Any suggestions?

Shawn68z is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
My first suggestion is you find a club in your area and find a person to help you at this stage. I would think that laterally balancing a PT40 is a little advanced for the stage you are at.

Guys will help you with mono application, balancing, wings program, all that stuff. The internet is not as good as a source as a local person would be for you.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike s

Total Props: 9
Lateral balance is just as important as fore & aft becuase you get straight stalls. I use long finishing nails to balance my aircraft. I take the Glow plug out of the engine and pick up the aircraft by the prop and have someone lift the tail at the bottom. I drive the finishing nail into the light wing tip and then cover with monokote.

Little wrinkles in Monokote can be removed by appying more heat. As you are pulling the monokote over the wingtip apply lots of heat and slit the covering wherever you are going to get a big wrinkle. The mistake most people make is they don't leave enough covering to grab onto when pulling it around the wingtip. With lots of heat (highest setting for the wingtip) and patience you can get a wingtip without wrinkles.

Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice

Thanks for your suggestions. For balancing my plane I did as the manual explaned, and I balanced the crank of the motor on a flat piece of wood (the edge of my desk), and had my roommate hold the end of the plane on a T-pin. Seems to have worked well, so I think it is balanced right. I was just wondering how much weight most people have had to add to their planes to get them balanced.

As for the monokote, I started working on the plane, and have slowly started to figure it all out. I havn't made it to the wing yet, but the stabilizers, rudder, and elivator have been covered. I think I am just alittle over criticial of the small wrickles on some of the edges. When you look at the plane from more then 2 inches away, it looks just fine.

As for getting alittle local help, I dont think its a real possibility as I have been building this plane in a military barracks, and have to make it disappear twice a week for room inspections. I dont even know if I am really to be building this plane here!

Old 06-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
The lateral balance isnt critical on high wing trainers and the efforts you have gone to sound just fine,IMO.
Applying any plastic shrink covering is a learned art but if you cant see the wrinkles from 2" away that sounds pretty good to me.Its a sort of heat and pull technique you have to develop for corners and round sections.On a trainer its more important the covering be glued down tight than trying to work out every little imperfection.
Unless you already know how to fly PLEASE DONT TRY IT ON YOUR OWN BECAUSE YOU WILL CRASH.As John says if you can manage it get help preferably through a club...........and join MAAC.
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
RCC Apprentice

Oh dont worry about me triing to fly this thing on my own

I am not flying the plane at all in halifax while I am here, I am mailing it home (UPS Stores) to Victoria where I have already been emailing acouple of different clubs. I am also just joining MAAC (I was waiting for the discount )

I also dont want to be the first person to fly my plane, I want someone with experience to look the plane over and make sure its safe for operation. Once they give it the okay, I would like them to take it for the maiden flight. The last thing I want to do is try and learn how to fly a plane that is ill handling.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.