A gripe about sellers - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Chris l

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
And of coarse if you live in the greater TO area its the centre of the universe anyway........ , seriously there is probably a big enough population base out there that these people can sell without shipping. On the other hand if I want to sell something I HAVE to be willing to ship.
Chris Lewry
treecutter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:41 AM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor

I agree with the not wanting to build a crate idea...if someone wants to pay to have a shipping company do all the work I have no problem with it, but that is pretty pricey and most buyers don't want to pay for it.
JohnnyHotRocks is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #13
RCC Noob

I live in Dawson Creek, BC and we find that anything arriving here tends to be dinged really badly. ABout 25-35% is damaged if shipped Canadian Freightways. Greyhound limits big parcels and such.

Some other points I have noticed:

- The local shipping companies don't always CLEARLY explain costs and sizes. We are encouraged to call 1-800 numbers and then you don't always get the most knowledgable person.

- Buying packing material here is tough at times. Even asking other companies for their bubble wrap or foamies....they give you a funny look.

- Many of the delivery people complain about loading it. I am seen some just chuck it into the truck and laugh as they pull out of the driveway.

- Processing claims for damaged goods.....thats a whole different nightmare. Average claim here takes 3 months to settle. And hours of calls and paperwork.

Over the years I have sold many car parts online to people in the deep south ( US ) and I package the stuff myself. Lots of clear packaing tape and cardboard. They always get their stuff and its in good shape.

I guess what I could see as most frustrating is when you want something and are WILLING to pay for the shipping or crating...and they don't want to do it. Its laziness on the part of many people. Can't be serious about selling I guess.

As a last comment, my Uncle works for a company in Vancouver, BC that ships specialty equipment for the Pulp / Paper industry. They shipp ALL OVER the world. His job is in the logistics. People show up in his office with the picture of a 47ft pipe thingy....and tell him its got to go to Chile. He packs it up and then arranges the logistics. He says ANYTHING can be shipped, packed and crated. He loves the challenge.

So....I agree with the original poster...its a pain the rump. But I know that crating and dealing with local freight companies can be a problem at times. But how else do you move your 400% Edge 540?? :+)

Visit www.KlassKote.ca
Epoxy Paint System
Order Line: (250) 784-8383
klasskote is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #14
RCC Apprentice
I am: John H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12?

Re: A gripe about sellers

Originally Posted by LGM Guitars
I don't know how many items in the classifieds I've seen lately that I read the title and I think "WOW!! That sounds really cool, I'd love to have one of those" I read the ad and think again "WOW, I really am interested" Read the price and "WOW, what a great price" and then read:

"To big to ship, local pickup only"

Come off it!!!!! Shipping large items is not a big deal. If the buyer is willing to pay for the cost of crating and shipping then why not ship it? Anything up to an 80" span can easily be shipped Greyhound. If it's bigger than that DHL surface can take it. It really isn't that hard to ship items. Some ad's of stuff in the original kit boxes read "local pickup only" as well. That annoys me bigtime since they all get shipped at some point to get to either the hobby store or the person selling it.

I've shipped some VERY large items. A BVM F-16 to california, the crate measured 80" long, 24" tall, and 55" wide. A Trim aircraft Spectre, box measured 80" long, 24" tall and 24" wide. My Skymaster Gripen, box was HUGE, something like 92" long, 48" wide and 24" tall. An Airmagic F15 that was about 72" long, 36" wide and 20" tall.
Sure I had to build crates, cost me like $80 in materials and a couple hours of my time, but when the buyer is paying for the materials, if I really want to sell it I'm willing to spend a couple hours to build a crate.

What really kills me is when a seller has their item listed as pickup only, and 3 weeks down the road they're saying "somebody must want this item". Sure, they probably do, but they might live on the other side of the country.

Now before somebody jumps on me and says something like "most buyers won't want to spend $150 on shipping on a $200 telemaster" You're right, they probably won't, and in that case I suppose I can see it. But I'm talking about airplanes in the $1000 and up range. They are more specialized so you are automatically appealing to a more limited market. Then in some cases I'm talking about kits that maybe are only worth $150, but it would only cost $15 to send it on greyhound because it's in the original box.

So, my reason for this post is I want to know, what is the reason for not shipping expensive models that are larger? I've had tons of stuff shipped that was large, and shipped out lots of stuff as well, I have never had a problem with shipping the items, so why not ship it?

You're right. Everyone should do what "you want them to". Aside from their own desires or limitations are it is really only just about what "you want and expect" from others.

Did you know that when someone gives you their terms that do not ask or compell you to do anything yet you insist they do otherwise that you are imposing your will upon them.

I suggest that you have control issues that may better addressed through therapy. This is not meant to be unkind but stand back and take a look at yourself while sizing up everyone else.
Work as though you will live 100 years and Pray like you will die tomorrow.
JoeAverage is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:59 AM   #15
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Oh my god, some of you guys really have a thorn covered stick up your butt don't you?
I have control issues!? I was asking why so many people say "local pickup only" and there have been many valid answers here, but as I stated, there have been many times you see a post saying "come on, somebody must want this". I'm sure somebody does, but if you're not willing to ship you are limiting your market. You probably don't want to sell the item THAT badly if you don't want to spend a couple hours to build a crate. Or even if you don't want to take a small package to a post office.

Hey, if you don't want to ship that's fine, I was trying to figure out what the real reasons are is all, I think that a lot of people think it's more complicated than it really is. It's an annoyance when something is advertised that a seller won't ship (this really amazes me on ebay) but it's downright funny when they repost asking why nobody wants to buy it.

Either way, I have no control issues, I was just wondering why some people would want to limit their market so much particularly when selling a high dollar item. To each their own, I just never thought it was that big a deal to ship something out.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #16
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
Originally Posted by LGM Guitars
Oh my god, some of you guys really have a thorn covered stick up your butt don't you?
Perhaps it's the way you began the post.

Gripe - noun - complaint; verb - To complain naggingly or petulantly; grumble.

So you have a complaint about sellers not wanting to ship their (not your) item and you think they have stick up their butts??? My item, my terms not yours: that simple.
DX18 Stealth, H9 Inversa 33, H9 33% Edge, H9 33% Decathlon.
Terry Gauvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #17

Cart a few planes overseas on international flights.....building a crate and shipping domestically will seem like a walk in the park by comparison

When we went to France, Dez make his own homemade cardboard boxes frankensteined together with duct tape to haul his planes in lol These are not small airplanes! With the stabs on....survived being loaded and unloaded from 4 different flights I was in complete shock!

Crating is simple....1/8" plywood....Home Depot or Rona will cut it to the shapes you require....some 1x1" for the corners...a nail gun, compressor and some glue. 2 hours later you have a crate. I charge money for the crates I build....if someone wants the plane then they will pay it.....I have never heard anyone complain yet about paying a little more for the shipping boxes. I figure its a package deal...I will ship anywhere in the world provided I feel I am not getting screwed....as long as that criteria is met then whats the problem?
Old 06-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #18
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

Originally Posted by can773
....as long as that criteria is met then whats the problem?

Time for me.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:11 PM   #19

Originally Posted by Noin
Originally Posted by can773
....as long as that criteria is met then whats the problem?

Time for me.
Dont spend so much on the internet then Honestly...a good box is an afternoons work if you have it planned out....my guess is there is no one on this board who cannot spare that much time....if you spend any time at all watching TV or surfing the net...then you have time to build a box!

However I think you missed the point....its ALL factored into the price...including what I consider fair value for my time in building the box, especially if I am building it specifically to ship to that person. If you think about it for a second...you will probably make more money building the box and selling the plane to where ever...than you would just sitting around the house doing odd jobs

Often I just build them anyways because its a lot more convient to travel long distances with the model packed away nicely.

Here is a picture of the cardboard boxes at the airport in France....all the model boxes came through the luggage conveyor! Most entertaining thing you have ever seen was the team up on the conveyor yanking off the boxes....no way you would get away with that in a North American airport LOL!

Old 06-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #20
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Steve B

Total Props: 1
Not wanting to ship...

Ever try getting a large crate (or even something big enough to fit a 40 size plane) into a Honda Civic??? It just ain't gonna happen....
Safety Precautions: Do not touch the rolling airscrew in order not to be hurt!

I'd like to offer you moral support, but I have questionable morals!
Leadfoot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.