A gripe about sellers - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #21

Total Props: 57
Re: Not wanting to ship...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot
Ever try getting a large crate (or even something big enough to fit a 40 size plane) into a Honda Civic??? It just ain't gonna happen....
Have a look at the picture....the two largest boxes sitting vertical are mine....both fit into a Toyota Matrix...along with the three suitcases and my wife The box measurements are 80x12x24, weight with airplane and clothes is about 17kg. Tools/spares/batteries etc go in the luggage.

If there is a will there is a way!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:31 PM   #22
V6Goose
RCC Apprentice

I am: Simon N
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12z

Total Props: 0
I crated 2 aircraft to bring here from New Zealand, and built a 3rd crate for my TF Mustang which I sold before I left.

Yes it took the better part of a day, but all 3 aircraft arrived at their locations (1 Ottawa, 1 other end of NZ) in perfect condition, and the guy that bought my Mustang pre-paid for the materials AND labour.

The Mustang went by truck, literally thrown in by 2 guys that eat nuts and bolts for lunch, and mine went by sea - you can imagine how fragile the handlers were.

My grizzles, although a little off topic, are to do with the size of this place, therefore the difficulty getting anything! Terrible on-line stores with 3 month back orders, and being the poor cousin to the states (taxes, freight etc) when I finally give up trying to support Canadian businesses.

*sigh*

Sorry.

Back on topic, IMHO if i really want to sell something, I'll do whatever it takes to sell it, including building crates. I would hope the same applies to me when I buy from someone.

My $0.02

Goose
Old 06-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #23
Leadfoot
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Steve B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ, JR 9303

Total Props: 1
Chad,

Definitely a bonus of the wagon/multi-use type vehicle like the Matrix, which will be along the lines of the next car I buy. Unfortunately my current Civic is a 2 door coupe, and the trunk opening really limits the size of plane or box that will fit into it!

The fuse of my 1/4 Gee Bee R2 is likely going to end up having to ride in the passenger seat up front with me!!!

I'd like to offer you moral support, but I have questionable morals!
Leadfoot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #24

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot
Chad,

Definitely a bonus of the wagon/multi-use type vehicle like the Matrix, which will be along the lines of the next car I buy. Unfortunately my current Civic is a 2 door coupe, and the trunk opening really limits the size of plane or box that will fit into it!

The fuse of my 1/4 Gee Bee R2 is likely going to end up having to ride in the passenger seat up front with me!!!
Agreed....you would not fit them into a conventional trunk/passenger compartement vehicle
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #25
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Brown
People bitching becasue someone doesnt want to ship

I have seen it all
doesn't sound like he's bitching to me....sounds like he just wants to know what other people think about shipping large items and why they will/will not ship large items.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #26
Shawn68z
RCC Apprentice

Just have to add my .02.

I have have just brought my PT-40 to the UPS Store (Mailbox etc), and they will be packaging and shiping from Halifax, to Victoria for around $40.00. Thats fully insured for $500 (no electronics or motor).

When I bring it back to them to ship it, I will be bring my digital camera to take photos of them wrapping, so I can prove the condition of the plane when it was packaged BY THEM. I will let you know how it turns out when it arrives.

It does take time, and money to ship complete plans (or kits for that matter)

However, if a seller wishes to sell a plane Locally only, thats definately their right.

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:21 PM   #27
4REDave
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave

If you want something bad enough, you can get it. Regardless if the seller is willing to ship or not. It all comes down to $$$$.
4REDave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:10 AM   #28
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
I've shipped 3 airplanes by Greyhound and never had a problem.

For my Yak Gary Maker and I built a crate as Chad suggested 1/8" plywood and 1 x 2 strapping.. and every peanut we had in shipping at work! Took about 8 hours, tow nights but that was having never done one before.

For the next two I took two cardboard boxes and made one large box, again lots of peanutes. Yes it took some time but no one local wanted the planes so I sold to people who did.

Make sure you phone Greyhound for a quote. Don't use the website... it only asks for weight. The crate above was only about 70lbs but they cubed it due to size. I paid about $125.00 with $1000.00 Insurance, to ship from Mississauga to SK... Well the buyer paid it .
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:12 AM   #29
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20
crate

that's a nice looking crate, however i would have made one modification to it...i would have installed some 2x2's on the bottom to make it easier for a forklift to get a hold of. i've heard a few horror stories about crates getting damaged by forklifts when they try and pick up the crate.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #30
JohnnyHotRocks
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: John U

a-noin wrote:
Quote:
Time for me.
1100+ posts....I think you have more than enough time to build a crate
JohnnyHotRocks is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in