Main landing gear ideas? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Main landing gear ideas?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I need to figure out what to use for the landing gear on my giant trainer. I was thinking about using aluminum but the pieces that I saw at Lowes and Home Depot are either not strong enough or too heavy. The 1/8" thick stuff, no matter how wide, was just not going to do the trick. The next thickest size was 1/4", and the 1" wide piece of that would have been strong enough but I am affraid that will add too much weight.

I need something that I can use with wheels as well as floats - the tabs on the ends need to be vertical for the wheels and horizontal for the floats (The floats will have their own set of gears, the wheels will only have one - mains). The spacing between the legs for the wheels and floats is 28" and the distance from the bottom of the fuselage to the axle/top of float is 7". The way I have it planed out is to use blind nutts on the gear attachment points so I can easily swap out the gear with a hex wrench.

What are you giant scale guys using in the duraluminum type gear? I need something that will support at LEAST 15lbs, but if I can get something rated for 20-25lbs that would be ideal.

KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★
I am: Jeff K

Total Props: 8

You may want to check B&B Specialities. They offer this:

Look for the "Landing Gear Reinforcement Standoffs" near the botton the page. Basically it allows you to reinforce regular aluminum sheet landing gear with a piece of 3/16" or 1/4" piece of music wire. Makes the gear really study and can take a hard landing. I have a 19lb Giant Stick plane with stock aluminum landing gear reinforced with one piece of 3/16" music wire. It works great.

grizak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
Steven Dew
RCC Contributor
I am: Steven Dew
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

I noticed you live in Ohio.
You should check out TNT Landing Gear.
They are in Ohio, also.
I have used their products and would highly
recommend them. He can make anything you want
and uses the best materials.

Try this link:

MAAC #23584L
IMAC #4335
Past President Soo Modellers
Steven Dew is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 5

what if you tried to find a gear off of a wrecked 35% aerobatic plane?
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor

WOW!!! Those are some expensive mains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about building my own rather than buying them? What kind of material would be best? Would 6061 aluminum work? It is much stronger than regular aluminum and light, but I dont know about its ability to bend. Any ideas?

Another thing, the airplane is going to be a trike when on wheels. I dont know if that changes anything or not. I have the nose wheel figured out.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Nigel T

Total Props: 3

6061-T6 Aluminum is suitable. You might try 3/16" thick for your application. A good rule of thumb for bending aluminum is to keep the radius of the bend 3 times the thickness of the material being bent.

In this case the bend radius should be 9/16". 6061 isn't terribly hard as aluminum alloys go so 1/2" radius would be fine.

Also make sure that any saw marks are filed or polished off the edges and the corners are de-burred so you don't have any cracks develop while bending.

Hope this helps....

Cheers, Nigel
MAAC 6949

My ex-wife hates airplanes!
monocoupe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:15 AM   #7
RCC Senior Contributor

OK, thanks for the tip, Nigel. Ill keep that in mind.

I am on a time constraint for this airplane now. I have 13 days left. I think Ill concentrate on the floats for now as those are what I will need (I am going to the lake in 2 weeks). For the struts on those I think I can get away with the aluminum stock at Lowes, as long as I have a cross brace on there. When I get back from my trip Ill work on the wheel gear.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.