My Fuji's exhaust is really black black - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: AlexL
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 2
My Fuji's exhaust is really black black

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This is actually my first gas, bought the Fuji 54 from a fellow club member, spent the whole month farting around with it, finally got it running just now, but the exhaust is like dirty black.

Here's the configuration:

No lead regular gas
LawnBoy Ashless 32:1 oil
Master Airscrew 18x8

I guess that's it, it runs fine, scared the day light out of me because I thoguht it was going to take off even though I have it ancohored to a very sturdy builtt test stand, didn't have the gall to leave it running and run back to the house for the tack. I will take a reading tomorrow when I am ready for another run.

Anyway, I ran my grass trimmer with no black residues and very clean, that is the first reason why people switched to gas at the first place, but with this, I don't know, what is your thought? Should I switch to symthetic oil instead?

AlexL is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 5

Many new gas engines, when they are breaking in (especially with the non synthetic oil) will have black crap coming out of the exhaust until they get broken in. This should go away over time, assuming it's not running too rich. I would also pull the plug out and inspect will tell you if it's running rich or lean.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:35 AM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0
Shot in the dark, but could a muffler or baffle(if they are even used???) be loose?
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: robert j

the weed wacker converted will give ya some black goo as well its not running as hot with a big prop blowing air across the cylinder is my guess.i used optimal till i cant find it here it is synthetic gives ya about 80-1 and still some goo not a lot but ya gotta clean some
volksman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:48 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: AlexL
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 2
Ran again this morning

Took a brief reading (couldn't prolong the full power for too long, just too dangerous for me single handedly, the wife will have nothing to do with anything that stupid).

It registered 7800 rpm with the Master Airscrew Classic, how this compares relatively to other makes?

I think the gook was a little less this morning, so, thanks to all the advice, it is going to run fine.

Question: what sort of a plane this will be good for, the engine with the cdi, muffler, 2300 mAh 4-cell pack weighs just under 5lbs.

I hope with times, it will develope another couple of hundreds rpm?

Thank you guys,

AlexL is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Jim D
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jim D

Black exhaust

Try running using premium gas instead of regular mix. Some people have noted that when using premium it cuts down on the black coming out the exhaust. For the amount of gas you are going to use it will not break the bank.
Worth a try.
Jim D is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.