RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2006, 01:17 AM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0
busted engine mount bolts.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a reoccuring problem, and I have no idea why. I have always had an Eagle to bash around with, and I have continually busted the bolts holding the motor to the plywood plate. I'm using 4-40 allen bolts, the black, hardened ones, and I think they are considered grade 8.

This has happened with a weak OS 40, an OS 40 FX, ST 40, and ST 45 now. The most recent incarnation of my favourite trainer has maybe 6 flights on it, and today I started flying it like it should be. I was doing multiple snaps up and down the runway, and all kinds of stuff a normal trainer does. As I was trying to "encourage" a relatively new flyer to do something other than flat circuits, I noticed a weird sound coming from my airframe. Upon landing, I noticed that the "old" problem had returned. I had broken both of the rear mounting bolts on my engine.

Any ideas what's contributing to this happening? The engine mounts directly to a plywood plate that I've epoxied in place (it's supposed to be bolted , so it will crash in the event of a training accident). Engine runs really smooth, prop is balanced. Bolts were tight before taking off.

I've asked a couple guy's if 4-40 is too small, and they say it's fine for a 40 sized engine. Manual says 4-40, and my Giles, which is subjected to even more abuse, has 4-40. The only structural difference is the Giles has a Dubro rubber isolated aluminum mount.

I'm tempted to just swap them for 6-32, but then I may be hiding another problem.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:41 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: robert j

if you are using blind nuts in the plywood are ya over torqng the little 4-40 fellas are they hobby store stuff or walmart , most of the stuff from a hardware store is pretty soft. are they sheered or stretched ? 6.32 should be end of story,or try lock tight or glue on the threads with less torgue on the ball driver
volksman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:58 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Mike for your flying style, 6/32 minimum. 4/40=too small!
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
4-40 is pretty small for engine bolts. You probably torque them up a bit and the vibration finishes the job.

Go to 6-32, use locktite and just do the bolts firm. Should be end of story.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:54 AM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try 4-40 again, but use less torque. Maybe I'll get the wife to tighten them up, she's terrified of wrecking my "fragile" beauties.

To go to 6-32, I'll need to drill out the mounting holes in the engine, and the ply mount is very thin as it is. If the 4-40's break again, I may go so far as to chop off the nose, install an aluminum mount with the iolators on the firewall, and build a cowl. I really like these things, they make the airframe so much quieter.

Thanks for the info about the torque, I think that is the problem.
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

My $.02: The comment about the "very thin" ply mount may say it all. Vibration can do wonders, and your one-cylinder engine working with the flexibility of the plywood might have found the weak point in the system--the mounting bolts. You might consider beefing up the plywood mount. Just a thought, Dzl
If it doesn't stink, it's not a diesel.
Dzlstunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.