RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #21
volksman
RCC Master Contributor

I am: robert j

Total Props: 16

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
my 2 pennies.

stick your finger in the carb rock back and fourth through compression. if shes sucking the fuel to the carb the diaphram is working to some degree. with your finger real wet with gas from rocking the prop. set the throttle open by about a 1/4 of its travel. make sure aircraft is restrained.i repeat restrained. with a glove on your hand slap the prop as hard as ya can. if ya can get her to sputter she should start prime it from a little squeeze bottle straight into the carb if the rocking isnt getting ya fuel
the air gap between the coil and magnets on the flywheel can be set by slacking the two screws. place a money bill or buisness card between the magnets and coil. this is close enough to get her to start.
the engine is a quadra or us engines either 35 or a 42. if ya can see a plastic cover behind the flywheel and the case it has points and condenser.
the prop tip should be at about 2 o clock with the piston at or just before tdc. easier to get speed on the slap
volksman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #22
alame
RCC Apprentice

I am: alame
Radio of choice:
spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
I've had the plug out to see if its firing and it has gas on it, quite wet actually, it has no plastic cover on it for points ? so my take is its getting fuel into the cylinder/carb, I think its not spinning fast enough to generate a decent spark as whats been suggested by others, the HD starter setup is the way to go obviously for a gas engine, just taking a look at it and it has no identifying marks,flywheel stamped USA, crankcase says made in Canada, overall I'm thinking of just putting on the 4 stroke Saito off the other plane and get out flying
alame is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:14 PM   #23
volksman
RCC Master Contributor

i start my us 41 with a rope wraped around the prop adapter. will go on one pull if primed try it if ya feel comfortable. Slaping works takes practise dont give up its easy when ya know how. also you have the proper mount for a spring starter by the looks of the pic

Old 06-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #24
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
So that there is no confusion only conversion engines with flywheel (magneto) ignition should need a starter,
Any designed for purpose gasser with an electronic variable timing ignition should be an easy hand start once you get a starting drill that suits you.(ZDZ,DA,3W,Brison,ROTO etc and no I aint getting into any arguments about which is best )
I use full throttle,ignition on,full choke til it burps,choke off,high idle,flip til it starts.Should not take more than a dozen flips total.I use a heavy glove and set the prop to come up on compression about 2 oclock (Im right handed)I use a heavy duty restraint,point the plane away from the pits and dont allow anyone near the prop arc when I start up.
I have half a dozen gas engines of various makes and sizes all with electronic ignitions and all are easy starters.
There are other starting drills but this works for me............
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:02 PM   #25
alame
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
spektrum DX7

so it looks like if I want it to start better, switch it to electronic ignition, I've already pulled it off the airplane and looking at setting up the Saito to fit, whats the cost of switching to electronic anyone?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #26
volksman
RCC Master Contributor

the engine will probably start just has to be turned fast enough by rope,hand, electric or spring starter. the kavan gear reduction starters are cheap, if ya can find somweone who has one try it. i got tired of the hassle starting mine thats why i use the rope not possible if ya want to use a cowl.
the electronic conversion isnt cheap about 200 or more
Old 06-28-2006, 08:09 PM   #27
alame
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
spektrum DX7

can I do the rope trick with what I got now ? is it just a matter of wrapping the rope correctly and give er ?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #28
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
It isnt worth retrofitting an old Quadra with an electronic ignition,Use an electric starter,or a spring starter,or even the pulley idea,or learn the slap technique.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:19 PM   #29
volksman
RCC Master Contributor

ya the rope will work on your shaft pictured. i use enough rope so at the end of the pull its off the shaft. its obvious but have your knuckles clear on the first rotation. i clear the end of the prop by about six inches at the start be careful ive never had a mishap but its possible
Old 06-29-2006, 08:49 AM   #30
alame
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
spektrum DX7

well after all the support from this forum I'm going to put the engine back on the plane and give it another effort to get it started, gonna do the rope trick although it came cowled, I bought the thing from his widow, so it hasn't run for a couple of years, this forum is just what a newbie like me needs, thanks to all who assisted with my questions
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in