supermarine walrus FLYING BOAT!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
supermarine walrus FLYING BOAT!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK so.. Im kinda dreaming here but here I go..

IF I were to build a supermarine walrus flying boat biplane, with a 55" wingspan and 45" length, do you think an OS .46 FX would be a sufficient engine to push this plane along nicely or would you recommend a larger engine? I looked at the lanier mariner .40-.46 and it has a 10" larger span AND length compared to the walrus's specs (according to my 1/9th scale views)

I would need a pusher prop so it might not be as powerful..? and it is a flying boat biplane after all so.. Im not sure if the .46 FX would do the trick; would it be best to just go for an OS .60 or a similar engine? or would the .46 be just fine? I also looked at greatplane's .61-.90 seawind and it is about 15" larger in length and span so it seems as if a .46 would be reasonable for the walrus being at a 55" span and 45" length..

I calculated wing loading and it will have around 15oz/square foot IF it were 15lbs. but Im sure I could make it under 10lbs.. so ANYWAYS I really cant make up my mind about the engine size so any input and advice would be real nice I need some quick responses Id love a plane to bring up to the cottage this summer

THANKS, brendan.

the pic below has an 80" span walrus powered by a 120 four stroke if that makes any difference..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walrus80_450.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	17900  
brendanruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
RCC Apprentice

Hello Brendan,
I fly a Mariner with a OS.46 FX and, to my taste, it is kinda limit.
It flies good but no fancy stuff, it can loop,roll, but thats about it.
Then again the plane is not made for that and water flying is not
the same, you want to just "relax" by the lake and enjoy summer.
Also, in my humble opinion, a 4 stroke woud make it more "scale".
My next water plane will definitly have a 4 stroke, the sound over
water is just awesome.

P.S.Just one man's opinion
pat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1
A couple of things to consider,

The mariner is a mono wing plane and doesn't have the drag of the struts and flying wires. Although the extra wing will give you more lift. It won't and shouldn't be a fireball in the sky.

Call me a purist\---- whatever.....why not go with a 4 stroke??? The 4 stroke will have a more scale sound. If your going to go through the trouble of building this Walrus you might as well do it scale. I imagine you're going to build it from scratch or from plans. If it's an economics factor, you'll have plenty of time to save up for it and you don't HAVE to buy new.
I have a 53" Brian Taylor Harvard, I bought it completed. It has panel lines, rivets, completed cockpit with instruments, levers, buttons, switches the whole package. Only problem is it has a Super Tiger 60 in it. The Harvard looks great, flies nice, it just doesn't SOUND scale. Sounds like a big yellow angry bee going by. (sigh) Like I said, call me a purist\----\whatever.
Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor

a 10 to 15 lb airplane needs much more than a 46 - especially flying off water. There is a fella near Victoria who built a Sea Otter ( modernized (?) decendant of the Shagbat) It is about the same size as you are proposing, but unfortunately I'm not sure what engine he is using...

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6

Yeah, the drag is going to affect the top speed of the model, but it should still fly well if you keep the weight down. What is important is the hull: once it is off the water, it will fly like it was handlaunched. The hull is the only thing that will get it airborne, and there are lots of cheats to make it work as well as wheels. I had a 48", fully-rigged biplane flying boat, and it got off the water with a 19 diesel, leaped off with an Oliver 3.5, so I'm sure that a 46 will be up to the job; the bipe was "front-engined", same as Sea Otter, so that is an unknown quantity to me.

As far as "loops and rolls" are concerned, please direct me to films, books, whatever, that describe a full-scale Shagbat doing these manoevers...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8

Here is the one Bill Martin built, he's from parksville here on the island... It has about a 60" WS (I can't quit remember, but around there).. And he powers it with a OS FL70 4-STRK...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seaotter_138.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	17975  
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
RCC Noob

thanks a lot thats the exact engine I was thinking of using on this plane thanks for everyones help! I think I will invest in the 4 stroke.
brendanruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.