Magnum 4-strokes... Any reviews? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Magnum 4-strokes... Any reviews?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I picked up a brand new Magnum .91 four-stroke last weekend. I put it in my 60 sized P51 and broke it in. It has ok power, but I'm hoping for more as I get it leaned a bit more. I noticed after about 1/3 gallon of fuel that it runs very well, but the tuning range on the needle valve is very narrow. Over about 1/8 turn it goes from gurgling rich to soggy lean (with a pretty narrow power range in between). That seems pretty narrow to me compared to my Saito or any of my two-strokes.

Does anybody have any positive or negative experience with the Magnum 4-strokes?
Does anybody have any advice for getting the most out of this engine?

jpmodels is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
I have 2 91s
one in an aeromaster bipe about 75 flights
the other in a T/F corsair 5 flights
both are real smooth with good power just love them
MAAC 5057 L
Jean. C. Blouin
CFI Club Aeromodeliste de l`Estrie
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

A guy I fly with had one of them. It was in a Funtana, and didn't produce the power he wanted. It ran well, and put out decent power, but didn't seem to have the same power as the Saito. Mind you, it doesn't have the same price tag either.

I've heard alot of postive about the Magnum 4-strokes. If it fly's the plane as you want it, then I'd keep it.

I'd never consider a Magnum 2 stroke, but I'd consider the 4 strokes in a heart beat. (i've had a couple 2 strokes, and I had bad luck with them)
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Chris l

I think Magnum engine are all pretty good for the money, the only problem we've ever had is the O-rings at the needle valve disentegrating and causing sensitive needle setting like you are describing, now we just replace them when we start and enjoy.
Chris Lewry
treecutter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
S/W Newbflyer
RCC Noob

I have an .80 with about 1/2 gallon through it. So far I like it alot. I will have to try replacing the o-ring on needle valve as mine leaks abit. Right now I'm turning an APC 13x6 scimitar at 10500, the motor is flying a 13lbs bipe quite well.
S/W Newbflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.