Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike s

Total Props: 9
Basic problem???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
While attending the Montmagny IMAC contest which was great, I had the oppurtnity to judge Basic. While judging I noticed that all the Basic contestants were flying big gassers. There was no glow engines aircraft being flown by any of the 20 contestants.

Why is this issue?? Imagine if you show up with a .40 size aircraft to fly in Basic (the so-called entry level for IMAC) and you have to compete with aircraft that are capable of flying and winning in Unlimited. I think you might be just a little bit discouraged.

Yes I know it shouldn't matter what size of aircraft you fly but in reality it does and nobody can convince me otherwise. You will never see a small glow powered aircraft do well in the higher levels or lower levels against big gassers.

If we are trying to encourage growth in IMAC and encourage Newbies to come and give it a try with the aircraft they have we had better level the playing field for them.

Next time you attend a IMAC contest take a look around especially in the Basic level.

Mike Sebastien
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ChisR

Total Props: -4
Mike I agree 100%, when I had issues with my Yak a few days before your IMAC in Moncton I wasn't too impressed, it wasn't until after when I think Mark said to me, "Why didn't you take your Katana." Its just a 40 size profile but hey, that thing flys great and probably would have done great. I honestly didn't really even consider taking it when I really should have.

Hell maybe I could have given Rob a run for his new velox, lol.

SJrcflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: robert j

Total Props: 0
hell i made a fool of mself with a twenty size with a saito 30. but i came in second
volksman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 1

I agree with you mike,
I was talking with a pilot at the last competition and he commented on a event he just went to, In basic, there were not to many pilots, but they were very good and competitive. All the pilots were able to fly almost perfect rounds. Most were flying bigger gas planes Now If I was watching and wanted to get started in Imac I would be under the impression I would have to be a great pilot flying bigger airplanes to even stand a chance in this basic group. What ever happened to moving up, these type of pilots are flying more than your basic aircraft and are have mastered basic level.
As far as I am concerned it is 70% pilot 20% plane and 10% luck.

I am still flying my CG extra 300. Yes I still fly in basic. And yes I am looking at getting a bigger airplane next year. So I can compete against the guys in sportsman. YES I know that I can and should be moving up now and have been told already by a few people. BUT
I am just waiting for some time from my caller at the field to practice sportsman.
Get that patty done franko and get some stick time. I need local competition just like everyone else.
Bryan Mailloux is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob the Builder

Honestly... as a guy who has judged a few contests now, I was really impressed by one guy in particular flying a glow Citabra type plane... he flew straight lines and great rolls. I don't care if you have a Comp Arf, etc... if you can't fly a straight line with it you just lost points.

There are also a lot of guys that get into GS long before they even think of competing in IMAC. I was one of them. I thought the stanards were much higher than they are, even in basic. I honestly put off doing any contests for a long time because I didn't feel I was good enough. Went to my first contest with a 33% gasser (nervous as hell). Man am I glad I went. Of course, after I got my feet wet I moved up.

Sandbaggers... yeah... everyone hates them. If you have 20 people in basic, and all are waiting 'till they've won 3 contests to move up, and they all go to 6 contests a year, then it will take 10 years to get them all out of basic... simple math. People should strive for challenges and improvement... not trophies.
OverTemp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor

As the guy who flew the last two meets with a 40 size extra, I can say having a smaller size plane does have more trouble when windy, the larger size handle better,
Now at Stoney Creek my buddy turned up, who is thinking of flying IMAC, and came right out and said he "didnt want to be the guy with the smallest plane" and then he started looking for a bigger plane.
For me I couldnt have cared as I had a blast, even if I did crash at Flying Tigers.I only lost a $100 airframe not a $3000 one.
Now I have to put more stick time on my 1/4 scale to be comfortable. so maybe by September I will try again.
It wasn't a crash it was deconstruction for improving
maac 73408

Alan Brace
abcool is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
Rick Kroeze
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rick K

While I understand your point I have to slightly disagree. I flew a Funtana against the whole range of planes in Basic and managed to bring home "the wood". In Columbus last year I was the smallest plane by far. After I flew the first round all I got from my fellow competitors was questions about the plane and words of encouragement. Considering I was in first place, I'd be lying if not admitting that it was very amusing to beat "the big dogs". Then came Sunday and I managed to humble myself by flying myself down to 5th.

As a whole, it almost always is the best pilot that wins not the best airplane.

I've had to judge the variety as well this season and have to say it's very impressive to see "lesser" stature planes being flow very well up against the bigger ones. The fact will always remain that bigger generally will fly cleaner, smoother and present better. You can win with a smaller plane.

Many, like Bryan, are making that point quite clear this season (move up, you've earned it! You want a caller come on down I'll call it for you).
Rick Kroeze
MAAC#70373 IMAC #4460
NC Region Judging Instructor
They say trees are 90% air. Personally I think they are 100% tree.
Rick Kroeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:34 AM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am putting on western Canada's biggest most badass Imac event (the only one ) this year. I recently bought a 27% h9 extra and have been practicing allot. Because I have been practicing so much and have a plane that may be intimidating to others I figure I can lose in sporstman as easily as basic.
Imac makes this hobby fun for those who wish to push their personal limits and flying ability like myself. If I could show more guys by flying my kids trainer in basic how cool it is, I will.
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:20 AM   #9
Steven Dew
RCC Contributor
I am: Steven Dew
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

I do agree with you.

I am going to a IMAC in Sudbury and am having
the same dilemma. I have a 28% gasser, Extra, but
am considering on flying a smaller 60 size glow.

I do realize that I will be at a disavantage, but
am really more comfortable with the smaller

I guess it comes down to a personal decision. Are you in it for
the fun and personal satisfaction and to build your
skills or are you in it to win only. I personally am
in it for the fun, ya sure it would be nice to win, but
! am there to learn and build my skills.
Also to meet new people and visit with some old friends.

MAAC #23584L
IMAC #4335
Past President Soo Modellers
Steven Dew is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:52 AM   #10
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16

Last year I witnessed a newbie from Chatham attend his first two contests competing in Basic. He came in 3rd and 4th , if memory serves me right. What was he flying... .46 size Twist! Yup there were guys in Basic flying .60, 1.20 and even 50cc gassers but he blew by most of them with a Twist, hardly an IMAC plane. He has since progressed to a 50cc aircraft and started this year right away in Sportsman and is doing well taking 3rd at the Flying Tigers contest. He is 15!

As a Basic pilot who started with a .45 size trainer and has progressed up to a 33% H9 Edge without ever coming anywhere near "the wood" I can attest that it is 90% piloting skills and 10% airplane. I should mention it was never my intention to have a 33% a/c at this point in time however an opportunity presented itself here I was able to trade stuff for it. My intention was to use a 50cc a/c this season but have not been able to complete it yet so I have to fly the only flyable airplane I have.. the Edge.

I to have felt that I may be scaring away some potential fliers with my 33% airplane, till you watch me fly! It was a personal choice to go to a bigger airplane as I had herd how much better they fly.. if you have the skills. With a bigger airplane your mistakes present themselves bigger as well.

Like hillerman2 has stated I to had the thought that I could suck at Sportsman just as well as I suck in Basic but I shouldn't be bullied into moving up just because I fly a bigger airplane. I would like to try and master some of the more rudimentary maneuvers before I attempt something more challenging. I am not obsessed with bringing home lumber but would like to progress to a level where I feel comfortable with advancing to the next.

At Stoney Creek Bryan actually had an advantage with his smaller faster moving CG Extra as he would just punch through the wind while the bigger aircraft where getting blown around everywhere. It showed in his taking first place, over a 50cc aircraft in 2nd place!

I say fly what you can afford and what you are comfortable with. As stated above it shouldn't be about winning but about improving yourself.

You stated you had 20 guys in Basic all flying larger airplanes... Who got scared away? 20 in Basic is a tremendous turnout.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.