Gas engines for big planes... Where to start. - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #11
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am not knocking the G62 but one of the problems with slim nosed scale models is the fact that you would have to carve holes to accomodate the muffler and carb which mount on opposing sides on the G62.
An engine like the ZDZ uses a rear rotor intake and a Pitts type muffler allows it to be mounted with no cowl butchering at all...........usually.
Dunno what size motor the kit calls for but ZDZ make 40,50,60 and 80cc singles.
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #12
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Thank You for your feed back. The B.B. Doll calls for a 41 to a 70.
Pretty wide. I have a tendincy to go high power. My thoughts are that
" you can always throtle back ". but you can never have too much power.
Given you think ( anyone out there ) would the new ZDZ
super 80 be too much power ?? I have read that the 41 is just a little under powered. Soooo what to choose ??
If anyone out there was at the " Flying Dutchman in K.W. they would have
seen the BF109. It was great and went like a cat on fire !!! do not know what the engine was in the 109 but would sure like to know, if anyone can help great.
Any feed back would be great as well.

Thank You
P51D-JCJ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:17 PM   #13
RCC Apprentice
I am: Heavy P

Total Props: -1
well as mentioned earlier, you can never have to much power, although powerful engines can also carry a weight penalty. Some of the newer technology engines are light weight and very powerful and do not penalize you although sometimes you want that added "usable" nose weight such as is the case with some biplanes and some warbirds. The best thing to do is ask in these forums for people with experience with certain aircraft, but remember it is their opinions, sometimes they are not always the best choice for you!
heavypedal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #14
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

Re: Gas engines for big planes... Where to start.

Originally Posted by jpmodels
. . . . I had a box of old weed-eater engines... I'm looking for something a lot better than that. Or is it all the same thing?

US Engines, Zenoah, and the like are nothing more that adapted weed eaters.

You can actually just buy a Redmax weed eater and voila! out pops the exact Zenoah engine that hobby stores would rake you for.

As said by many above. It's better to stick with engines that were specifically designed with aircraft in mind, Like ZDZ, DA, etc, etc.
Mike Emilio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #15
RCC Noob

gas engines

Most are not familiar with the name but here's a plug anyhow.
t-one is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #16
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Personally for a smaller gas engine you will not go wrong with any of the Zenoah engines. The new Zenoah G20i is beautiful running gasser as is the G26 which I am currently using in a 80" Trainer type high wing plane, which by the way will do most of the aerobatic manovers reasonably well with this engine. (ie: Stoney Creek IMAC summer 06)

If you want to keep costs down and you don't need unlimited vertical performance then these engines are great. If you need a full performance type engine then by all means, the DA50 is tops. I'm using a DA50 in my new 85" AW Extra 260 for IMAC competition. The G26 will be going in a new 96" scale Cessna 150 Aerobat which will be a great combo for this type of plane. The Cessna has flown with the G20i and flys very scale like so don't underestimate the power of these small gassers.

And yes they are similar to a weedeater engine but they have been designed & built especially for model aircraft. Similar - yes.... but definitely NOT the same as a weedeater gas engine! MHO!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

To go along with Gary's comments and if you are in a low budget situation I would be more inclined to go with a chainsaw conversion if you can find one. One differance is the crankshaft. They are a usually a full crank with bearings on both ends with bearings on the rod (wrist pin and crank). They also have larger carbs for breathing.
Not knocking any motor as they all have some differances and some of the engines like the DA's are built for RC. Some are also modified with the same cylinder, piston, crank, combination with a cnc crankcase/mount and electronic ignition added for our purpose.
It all comes down to how much you want to spend or what you want to spend it on.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #18
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15
Originally Posted by Gary Maker
Personally for a smaller gas engine you will not go wrong with any of the Zenoah engines. The new Zenoah G20i is beautiful running gasser as is the G26 which I am currently using in a 80" Trainer type high wing plane, which by the way will do most of the aerobatic manovers reasonably well with this engine. (ie: Stoney Creek IMAC summer 06)...
Hello Gary:

Happy New Year.

I realise that this post is now one month old, however, I would appreciate some advice about the G20ie or G26. I recently purchased a 71" span FW-190 ARF in which I want to install a gasser - this will be my first foray into the world of gasoline engine powered models. The FW-190 is supposed to end up weighing around 10 lbs, according to the specs, but I think that 12 lbs will be more realistic. I was considering installing one of the two engines mentioned above. I can justify the extra weight of a gasoline engine, because the short nosed FW-190 is normally tail heavy, thus requiring nose weight anyway - might as well use a heavier engine rather than simply mount a hunk of lead Anyway, in your opinion, might the G20ie have enough power for this set-up? Also, how important a consideration is an EI engine compared to one with a magneto?

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #19
Don Bright
RCC Apprentice

gas engines

Hi Guys: I think most engines are pretty good today. For price you cann't beat Zenoahs. Got a T.F. Giant Must. with a G-62 in it - lots of power. Was going to convert it to EI but needed the weight to balance the plane. Might not be as easy to start as an engine with EI { I have several of these as well] but are easy to start after you have them figured out. I can usually start any of my 62's 1st or 2nd flip if its primed right. I think [from experience] the 62 has about the same power as a DA or ZDZ or other 50's but a lot cheaper. Now we sell a G-62 for under $500 Can. - pretty hard to beat.

Don Bright is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.