The good old days............. Who else misses them :( - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Stefan J

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I find our club is pretty good. Most of the guys are willing to talk to new comers. I just wish we had more people coming out who wanted to get involved with the club. Training isn't an issue at our club as it seems we have only had one new person interested in being trained per year over the last 3 years. And with some of the older retired members getting out of the hobby, our numbers are decreasing. So any of you clubs who don't want new members, please send them our way. But seriously, if anyone has any great ideas on how to get more people involved, we would love to hear them. For now, we all enjoy a get together at the field with flying and conversation.
jacksost is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:29 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor

Speaking as a newcomer to the hobby, have you thought that people might not even know you exist? Before I started doing some research, I didn't even know that model aircraft clubs existed. I figured that there was nobody within 100 miles of me who actually owned a model aircraft. I live beside a small rural airport (what I would assume to be a perfect place for large model aircraft, there are typically less than 2 full sized planes taking off / landing per day), and I've never seen a model airplane flying there.

Do you advertise your club events anywhere where the general public might see them? If you placed a cheap ad in the Sarnia paper to advertise a fun-fly or something, maybe you'd get the odd straggeler to come out and see what its about, and maybe 3 or 4 extra newbies each year. I know if I had have known about local clubs, I would have gotten interested years ago.

Just some thoughts.

benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #13
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave

Looks as though everything is roses at the FCF club. I have no issues. Nor have I ever had any issues. Hell, even Randy takes the time to talk to me. If things were any nicer..........I'd swear they would want me to sell all my worldly possessions and sell flowers at the airport!!!!

It must be this SW Zone Botherhood thing..
4REDave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:37 PM   #14
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

Will you be wearing a pink dress while selling flowers?? if so.. well no comment

Originally Posted by 4REDave
Looks as though everything is roses at the FCF club. I have no issues. Nor have I ever had any issues. Hell, even Randy takes the time to talk to me. If things were any nicer..........I'd swear they would want me to sell all my worldly possessions and sell flowers at the airport!!!!

It must be this SW Zone Botherhood thing..
Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I noticed the changes quite a few years ago. When I was racing the guy's where always willing to help or lend to keep you going. Did not matter which club he was from. I also was a founding member of a club of which I was pres for 2 years. The good days where when you could set up and guy's would come over to chat even the new fellows. That changed quite a bit when we got a bunch of new guy's who did not like to go fast or complained about our racing engines. We where on a section of sod farm(sq.mile) and the owner came out to watch originally when we where flying. He had no complaints but did later when guy's started to fly around his worker's. When they moved I also did. Went home.
Now there is a few of us that fly here (200yds.) on the old airport and we have rules that are unwritten. We each fly on a different freq. consequently no board. We fly away from the pits and not over. And we fly what we brung. It is like the old days as sometimes you may only put in a flight or two as you start bs ing.
I started RC in 68 in Germany and it was friendlier all the way around. Even when I had problems with the language but we got around it. Now I find unless you know them it is hard to get close to them. Maybe it is from the rat race that it is all coming to.
Do I wish for the old days. YOU BET
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:37 AM   #16
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Matt C
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

my experience * Warning its a long read :)

I started in the hobby when I was 13 or 14 guess that would have been 88 or 89, I got my first plane for christmas that year (Goldberg SuperChipmunk) shortly after on or about my first flight I realized the error in choosing that plane as my first - I just loved that plane so much and didnt know any better.

My second was a duraplane that my father and I flew and crashed continously at the field that Big Sky hobbies in Winnipeg allowed us to use. Then one while visiting a local field, I think it was called Brady road. I met someone who offered his assistance and some lessons on flying. The experience that I had learning to fly with him was wonderful and he even let my continue flying at that field as a guest.

Later that year we moved to Burlington Ontario, where we joined the BRCM club and I met an amazing group of pilots and overall good people. I went through wings with my duraplane and for the life of me could not pass the wings test as the Duraplane was all but impossible to land without a few hops. One night I was out with my instructor, I took off did some circuits a loop or two then came in for landing and bounce bounce bounce down the runway it went. No wings that night. Due to my really bad memory I can't remember the name (Lionell comes to mind but not sure) of the gentleman that had been watching my progress as a student. He approached me and said "I will give you a plane that I am not flying anymore so you can pass your wings test on the codition that you through out that horrible thing you are flying now."

I could not believe such kindness and welcoming to the club I was recieving. I picked up the plane from his house and installed the motor that I had from the super chipmunk and headed out to the field one afternoon with Sil my instructor. Another amazing human being he was, Sil was my main wings instructor and he would pick me up during summer break from school on his way to the field and give me a couple of lessons in between his flights. This day I flew a few flights with him and went home for dinner, later that evening it was my scheduled lesson and a great night for flying so I headed to the field with my father and went for my lesson. There was quite a croud there, many people that had followed my progress through wings. I lined up on the runway and took off did a couple of rolls a few circuits and some short inverted tests. Came in for landing and 3 pointed her 1/3 of the way down the runway. I heard cheers from the croud and someone took his own wings of his jacket, handed them to Wayne Bransfield who walks over to me and congratulates me on the flight while handing me those wings. I had no idea that I was flying my wings test that night. A week later I was flying that same plane and made a miss judgment putting her into the deck, Lionell after helping me pick up the peices offers me an old plane he had designed and is no longer flying any more. I could not beleive the support and kindness of the men at this club welcoming someone so young and new to the hobby. For the next 5 years I flew at BRCM and promoted the club and hobby through Carl at Skycraft and the BRCM events. I went to all the shows and flew at all the events to try and bring more of the younger generation into the hobby. I also wanted to honor all that helped me and try and give back some of the kindness that the club members showed me. When the club was short on instructors I took the instructors test and donated my time to teaching new pilots how to fly.

Just writing this story brings back so many great memories of kindness and a feeling of belonging.

In the late 90's due to some financial and personal reasons I dropped the hobby. For the next few years I missed it greatly and longed to get back in. Shortly after getting married my wife helped me by buying me the helicopter that I always wanted with some of our wedding money. Since then I have continued to fly helicopters, 3D Foamies and parkflyers. I long to get back into the nitro birds one of these days but just dont have time or space to work on them.

One day this year I took my oldest daughter to the local field here in Victoria B.C to watch the nitro helicopters fly and yet again I had a great experience. My daughter loves helicopters and she was behind the roped off section behind the pits playing and pointing at the "big" helicopters ( she is comparing them to my shoguns) when Brian a club member comes over and sais to my daughter "do you want to come to this side and get a closer look" my daughter was so happy she got a closer look and went back to playing. Brian offered her a drink of water and was so patient with her playing and fielded all her questions. Brian then struck up a conversation with me about my interest and whether or not I flew. Again I had that great feeling of belonging that many people in this hobby create.

Sorry for the HUGE story but I really wanted to get across the point that there are some AMAZING and KIND people in this hobby and if we can just relish in these stories and experiences can get back to why we fly and why we continue in this hobby.

1. The friendship and companionship
2. The love of aircraft

I just want to formally thanks the members of the Brady Rd(I think) flying club in Winnipeg, The members of Burlington Radio Control club, and Victoria flying RC club. Because of the experiences that I have had at these 3 clubs will be forever ingrained in my heart with the love of R/C and I want to make sure that people like these are recognized for the great hearts, displaying the true spirit of what a hobby is supposed to be.

I hope that one day I will be able to do the same for a young new comer to the hobby and help keep this hobby alive.
Matteus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:17 PM   #17
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
REALLY old days...

How far back do you guys want to go? I learned how to build/fly a model in ~'46 or so, a small handlaunch balsa glider; I felt that I had just conquered the world. It was a Parks program (can anyone imagine a city running a summer program on how to build a model??? :P ), and I never looked back. Jim Walker supplied ARFs for allowance money, and I would ride the streetcar downtown to stare at the kits in the hobby shop, stuff like Brooklyn Dodgers, Jetco sailplanes, Frog/Comet/Easybuilt/etc kits, unable to afford any of them. The ONLY models I ever saw until I was 12 were the ones I built.

We moved, and my new acquaintances included another model builder. Eventually we got into c/l (radio was way beyond us, both financially and technically) and spent all our money on fuel and kits. We didn't fly many large models, but when we did it was at the local schoolgrounds (WHAT!!!??? Try that today!), the bark of our unmuffled McCoys and Hurricanes seemed to bother no one then.

Fast forward through cars and girls, settled down (sorta) and got back into models. 4 of us started a c/l club right beside the airport, and taught the neighbourhood kids how to build models. Not just c/l, but freeflight and indoor models, and eventually r/c. As a club, we ignored no one, taught anyone who was interested, and had a great time doing it... now, there's a cosmic thought, eh? As a club, we turned beginners into instructors, little room for guys who wouldn't contribute back into the hobby.

Is that today's problem? Everyone is so self-centered that only a few of us will help a beginner?
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.