Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Colin J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Dual Rates Question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Going to try out my dual rates, and just wanted to clarify something. BTW - it's on an Easy Sport 40.

Low Rates - smaller movement.
High Rates - larger movement.

My low rates are now set to what I have been flying the aircraft at (prior to setting it up for dual rates.

So, when do I use high, and when do I use low? I'm assuming that I can use low for landings and takeoffs, and then switch to high once I'm in the air?

Colin Jensen
Regina Windy Flyers
cjensen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:01 PM   #2

Total Props: 1
Correct in all your assumptions.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
fokker 1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dan M

Hi Colin

Your high rates should be set to your instruction book values
And should always be used for take off and for full out flying.
Lo rates should be set to book values also, But if those values are not givin, I set mine to about 80% of the high rate setting. Lo rates are for casual flying once you are airborn. I don't think those values you just put in are right, You may have increased your throws to much now on the high rates, unless you have been flying on a low rate setting all this time.

fokker 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave D

Total Props: 1
I find it better to use some expo and then you don't need to chage your rates. It makes the sticks softer in the center and still gives maximum throws when needed.
adaptabl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
fokker 1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dan M

Yes expo is good to, but if you panic for one reason or another and start swinging sticks you could get into more trouble. Set both rates up with some expo if you wish. I only use expo on certain planes, its good to fly with full stik motion. Just my opinion

fokker 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4
Hi Colin,

I usually leave my ailerons on high rates all the time. For the elevator, I fly low rates for take off, landing as well as general flying. In my case, because I like 3D flying as well as aerobatics, I switch to high rate elevator when I want to do (or try to do) extreme aerobatics or 3D flying. If I want to fly a couple of circuits in between I will switch back to low rates on elevator.

With an easy sport, I would recommend to take off and land with your low rates (on both elevator and ailerons) since that it was you are used to. Once in the air, you can switch to high rates on aileron and see the change in the flying characteristics. Then, when you are high up, switch your elevator to high and see how the plane responds. Some planes snap easily on high rate elevator so be careful!!
Dave V.
Burlington Radio Control Modelers
Team Skycraft
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:15 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Matt C
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

rates and expo

Low rates should be for all normal flying styles including take off and landing you should be able to fly the plane solely on low rate. High rates are extended throws for more agressive aerobatics aka tighter loops, rolls, post stall stunts such as harriers and 3D flight.

Expo - I personally hate it, will never fly with it again, I like to have a lot of control all the way through the stick motion of the transmitter. I use rates for stunt VS normal flying.

Just my 2 cents.
Matteus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor

I fly with a minimum of 30 expo even on low rates. The reason I do it is because of geometry. If you look really closely at the movement of the servo arm, you will notice that the arm pushes more in the first quarter of the rotation than at any other time. 25% - 35% expo is used to create a linear feel. I have setup for precision on low and 3d on high. I do all flying on low rates on my 27% and switch to high only for 3d with about 45%-50% on all surfaces. After the 3d maneuver I switch back to low. My low rates are high enough for all other maneuvers.

On smaller 40 size planes and especially foamies I only fly on high with expo ranging from 30%-55%. High being plus 45 degrees of deflection.
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:22 AM   #9
RCC Contributor
I am: Pulkit S

i nearly crashed my plane the past weekend coz i tried landing in a cross wind on low rates .
Luckily got away with a zero damage.

flying high rates with expo wont hurt. just stick around the middle when landing and taking off.
aerodreamer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15
An interesting thread - in particular, the recommendations. Some flyers like low rates for landing and take-off and others prefer high rates. Is there a "correct" answer? Perhaps itís more a case of personal preference, taking into account the type of aircraft being flown and the experience of the pilot. My personal preference is to fly with high rates for take-off and landing because as the model's airspeed decreases or is low the control surfaces become less effective. When I'm landing I prefer to have a more positive feel to the controls and a more responsive aircraft.

Perhaps for a beginner its better to use low rates when close to the ground and for general flying and then switch to higher rates when the pilot wants to fly some aeros.

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.