Hanger 9 PTS Mustang - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
ARF / ARC Aircraft Discuss anything and everything ARF or ARC related.

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Darrell B

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
first start of the day i use my starter to get it going after that I finger start it every time.

As for the landing gear problem they haven't fixed it yet .5th flight rt landing gear block broke in 2 cut open wing made new block glued it with 5min gel epoxy it is still holding fine.6th fight left landing gear block glue let loose cut it open ,some one at field suggested i use standard epoxy better holding strenght so I did.This morning second flight I brought it in hot, first bounce about a foot ,second flipped it on its nose.center of rt tire rim broke out it grabbed earth on second bounce,inserted wood dowl to repair. rt landing gear block held (5min gel epoxy)and left(stronger epoxy ) broke loose .hope it holds tommorrow??

I bought this as my first plane ,all gear on and flaps functional ,buddy boxed with instr first 2 flights I flew curcits ,instructor did take offs and landings(flaps only down on take offs .
the next day 5 flights (took off air brakes)I did all takeoffs(with flap) and 2 landings(without flaps).instructor broke the first block on gear free on 3rd landing .
3rd day I asked instructor to do test flight I had repaired landing gear he broke the other one loose.
I have 6 solo flights on it before this mornings landing gear problem.

Neat little repair is too seal up hole in wing after i fixed gear block used fake bullet hole stickers from canadian tire look great .

I believe if a student was to use a simulator first this is a great first and second plane(I have been fliying a raptor for about 10 mth,self taught)got the plane a month ago

Your instructor I think is the key to learning on this plane ,I got to pick mine .I watched him fly as well as the other instr at our field ,he was flying many different styes 3d ,imac gasser.and a bip .I will over time have other instructor on the flight line with me because they all have their strenght one more solid?? the other very loose.

this plane does not take off like a normal trainer full thrrottle take offs are the way ,do not use any rudder while taking off ,in the air very easy to handle the visual orientation takes a little getting used to I think it because of the planes colors blending into a dull sky on bright days sun to my back it's perfect. 3/4 thr gives and easy 12min flight time,the engine burbs when it gets low on fuel and still can bring it in under power.
landing must be done under power cut the thr right back it drops to quickly.

I am the first to have one of these in my area took it to a fun fly (did not fly it )but every pilot there wanted to see it so I had some else take it up it seemed to impress alot of people and the price is right.

p.s. also put extra glue on ail servo blocks and put in flaps servo right away give your instructor a chance to glide it in if it goes dead stick (hasn't happened yet that god).do not rest it on its tail wheel when not flying or it will go flat sided
skyad is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:43 PM   #12
RCC Apprentice
I am: Con W

Has anyone else had problems with the Mustang PTS Landing Gear
conward is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:05 PM   #13
RCC Apprentice
I am: Daniel
Radio of choice:
FrSKY Taranis +

Total Props: 1
Only problem so far has been the tail wheel going flat sided as mentioned earlier. It takes forever to get it back to shape! If you have a chance, replace it with a harder plastic or rubber wheel.
RAF303 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:59 AM   #14
RCC Apprentice

I have been flying mine since spring this year with no problems with landing gear.
Paulchee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #15
RCC Apprentice

The only problems I had with the P-51 PTS was the wheels fell off!!!

I should have learned from reading reviews...the wheel collars need to be CRANKED down and a drop of CA or locktite or something to hold them from backing off. Not good when once falls off during landing.

My instructor had me remove the landing gear attachments and center the fixed flaps on my 2nd flight.

The only thing I found it its hard to manouver on the ground with a cross wind...but they said that is normal with any tail dragger?????

With Take offs I DID need a bit of rudder control

I changed to a 2 blade prop (cheaper to replace) and of course had to change the spiner.
I had a couple of "heavy" landings...which caused no proplem with the landing gear.

Landing is faster with the P-51...but it just makes it more scale like because it doesn't "float" like some high wing trainers.

I would recommend it highly...although I have to admit...I did the majority of my training and got my wings with a Goldberg Eagle II
Steve H.
MAAC # 77221
trader is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #16
RCC Contributor

Well I just picked up my PTS about a week ago, Have not had time to get to the runway yet but hope too in the next week or so. Have an experienced pilot set my trims for me and then I hope to get a chance to fly. I have did many flights with the FS ONE Solo sim with the mustang. Does anyone know how close the plane flies to the sim? I tried the Raptor sim and did not like it. I noticed a big difference between the Alpha and the PTS.
1_AIR_WOLF is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #17
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
I won one in a club raffle ( http://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=31692) and finally got it together. As I said in the earlier thread, I was going to assemble it with all the "toys" added on and peel them off one at a time so I can see the difference.

I did make a few minor changes along the way. I mounted the engine (O.S. .46FX ) at 90 degrees instead of the 45 it is set up for, as I wanted to put a Bisson pitts style muffler on it. And I went with a flaps servo right away, rather than mess with fixed flaps on a stay. Also had to fuel proof a whole bunch of wood on the underside as the exhaust is now on the bottom of the wing instead of over the top.

Well, I have 6 flights on it now, and it is an easy flier. It will just leap into the air (not too scale!) if you are not careful and give it too much flap on takeoff. After 2 flights I ripped off the air brakes. It just felt like it was going so slow it just HAD to fall out of the air real soon. It lands nice and easy with a fair bit of flap, but I think I will have to add some flap to elevator mix to keep it level when the flaps are dialed in; it wants to pitch up a fair bit when the flaps are deployed. I think the next thing to go will be the short blade, shallow pitch prop. The engine is just screaming and it seems to be floating around.

One thing I am glad of is that bright yellow tail; without it I would lose it against the sky too easily. Of course, I could just learn to fly closer in, but I feel better with bunches of altitude and elbow room. (Maybe I should get serious about sailplanes!)

Nice plane all round, and I am glad I have one. I can look like I know what I am doing (to some extent) flying a "warbird" and most people don't notice the wing extensions unless they are up close, and a lot of folk think they are protection I put on when it is sitting on the ground!

About those wing extensions; I found the manual is not too detailed on mounting them, and wouldn't you know it, I had them on the wrong way around! There is a definate curved top and flat bottom to them, and if put on wrong way up (left on the right wing, right on the left wing) they will probably do some not too nice things to the aerodynamics of the wing. Lucky for me, another fellow at the field spotted my error before the maiden flight.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:02 PM   #18
RCC Contributor
I am: Tyler

I have been flying mine since June and have not had a single problem.
Tyler2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #19
RCC Contributor

Well went to the airfield today but no one there. so I just spent a few hours taxing up and down the runway. There was a bad crosswind so I did learn alot about how the plane will handle in a crosswind. I am hoping in the next few weeks to get airborne.
1_AIR_WOLF is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.