Suggestions for newbie(s) - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2006, 07:06 AM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Re: Parks..

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by TLyttle
where the only living thing in jeopardy is the occasional cow.
You got rid of the raven infestation then?
I've seen many crows in BC as well, maybe just because my brother attracts them.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:18 AM   #12
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1
Just my 2 cents worth. I started with an Eagle 2 and it flew OK. The dihedral in the wing and the flat bottom limited the aerobatic nature. That's Ok when you are learning, but limiting once you solo. I then used an Avistar and with the semi-symetrical wing it was more useful. I was successful and still had that plane for 5 years before donating it to my club where it still gives service as a club trainer. The ARF Avistar gets you ready quickly at a low cost and is a proven performer. Stick with a club and get buddy box dual instruction. You will most likely gain your wings without going through several airplanes. The ready source of information is invaluable. I was lucky. I had a life long pal teach me, but, a club is the next best thing. I also recommend the use of a simulator. I struggled for two seasons and then soloed first time out after a winter of practice on the simulator. I found it built the muscle memory and got me used to the reverse element when the plane turns and flies towards you. Wishing you and your young lad lots of fun. This hobby is terrific......
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Re: Beginners models

Originally Posted by erg
Originally Posted by hillmanr2
Please don't fly in a park as a beginner. It is not worth hurting someone!
I was down the street yesterday 'flying' my GWS pico J3 Cub in the college parking lot. In order to hurt someone you would have to dive at them for five minutes. It was the maiden flight, I was flying figure eights around the lamp posts. 39" foam wing, 8.5 oz, $130 plus transmitter.

This thing weighs and costs about half of my Saito 72 on the front of my Funtana 40.
Are you a beginner? Obviously not.

Many beginners get the parkzone type planes that weigh at least a pound and travel at about 20km/h. If you think flying in a park is a good idea do a simple test. Get a friend to lob a 1 pound rock at your head. After the rock hits you you can make an educated guess whether flying in a park is a good idea.
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #14
RCC Noob

Thanks for all the suggestions. While the convenience of park flying is attractive, reality (and safety) and the assistance of club members at a flying field are definitely the way we intend to proceed.

In my original post, I was going to ask opinions about electric vs. 'slimers', but thought it might stir up a big discussion, beyond what I was looking for at this point. I will probably keep an eye on the classifieds for a deal on a high wing trainer and hope for the best.

Thanks again for your help/suggestions.

Just beginning - any and all info appreciated
Roger is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor

electric vs glow:
IMO it comes down to money. Electric will be more money for a setup that will preform as well as a typical glow trainer. I know all about not having to buy glow fuel but screw up a battery and that argument goes out the window.
I helped a guy setup a trainer with an outrunner and lipo packs and the thing was fantastic. Do yourself a favor though and learn how to tune a glow engine just in case.
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
RCC Noob

PHOENIX 40, CS Engine Tornado.46 AirTroncis Vanguard FM 4/6

VERY GOOD CONDITION FULLY ASSEMBLED PHOENIX 40 RC AIRPLANE: CS Engine Tornado .46 and AirTronics Vanguard FM 4/6 Channel Radio Control
catherine.uffen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #17
RCC Contributor
I am: corey p

Total Props: 3
just donr be scared is all.. people kept telling me get a buddy box, disconnect the ailerons and so on... and it scared me away thinking it would be really hard to fly.. my dad is an avid builder and i was just scared to crash all that hard work into the ground.. fineally after a couple years of having my own planes i got tired of looking at them so i just went out and tried it.. turns out it is pretty simple. if you know how planes fly and you use some common sense you most likely wont crash, i used a tiger trainer 60 and it flew beautifly, obviously dont just go out and start trying loops and barrel rolls and dont try and land on your first approach. just take your time, be smooth with the controls dont just slam the stick to the left if your plane is banked a bit right, small movements make a big difference, and just go for it. im not trying to start a big debate on the buddy box here im just saying i think it scares people away and that basic flying is not hard to pick up
prefontaine is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:09 PM   #18
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

It's like riding a bike. You fall alot less if you have someone holding the seat.

My kids keep wanting me to take the training wheels off, but I'm not ready for it yet.

Roger, have you gotten a plane together yet? just wondering how you went?
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:52 PM   #19
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Adam Clarke
Radio of choice:
JR 9303 2.4
# of RCs: 4

My advice is to practise alot on the simulator.
With the simulator and a GP PT-60 i had my wings after about 15 flights, great instructors as well, and NO buddy box.
atc666 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #20
RCC Apprentice
I am: Bob N.
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7
# of RCs: 7

Just finished my Nexstar with flaps and extensions as per instructions. I have 0 experience flying, is it wise for me to try without these options ?
xray is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.