trimming an airplane.. baffled as to why???????? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2006, 11:05 AM   #21
RCC Contributor
I am: grant

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
lol well again, quite the topic......

Anyways, i was out last night, and I added some tail weight and it has improved some. I did manage a rudder turn and I was estatic.. it was great.

I do use a computer radio on this plane and I have yet to dial in mixing etc. I wanted to get things set up as close as possible before i started mixing.

Knife edge it still drops some, but i also think that the engine is not putting out the way it should. Been haveing to have to do way too much carb adjusting for my likeing. 40 size plane, but have a webra speed 61 in it.

It does wanna roll out in knife edge too, but that is probably more the plane design than anything. Still need some playin around with it.

Its interesting to note, the idea with an angle on the rudder. My buddy thought of that last night, and sugested a slight amount would probably do the trick.

I have wondered a lil bit if maybe a larger rudder would work too, but probably not.

I don't know who all is familiar with the plane and flown one. It is a tad short coupled i think. Its certainly not squirly like say a pitts, but compared to an old thunderbolt pattern ship i am flying as well, it is short.

It does hammer head fairly well, so that sorta tells me there is rudder athority there, and so the rolling outa knife edge and unable to hold the knife edge tells me maybe another problem, maybe right or down thrust or maybe an incidence problem as well.Or like I said, the engine is not putting out enough or maybe a lack of prop wash over the rudder.

When i first test flew it, i tried a bigger prop, and found i had tons of pulling power, but it also wanted to trun left all of the time. And it did not matter how much rudder i put in to try and straighten it out. A smaller prop fixed that problem.

So i'll keep playin with it and see what I can do.. And keep your comments comein guys... Any ideas big or small would be great.

And I would like to get this figured out, cuz I would like to build a bigger version of this plane. Mainly because, every body else has the caps, sukois etc.. but no one has a staud... and I like to be different :P
happy flying
juice90 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #22
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
A bigger plane 25% or bigger would be night and day. I have yet to see a 40 size scale aerobatic plane that preformed well other than an ultimate. The staud looks very similar to an extra 260 with the main exception being the straight rudder
Read peter Goldsmiths trimming article. It will help allot.
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #23
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Words From Wayback

I am just getting back into R/C A/C, I flew from 1964 to 1980. I remembered that one of the designers would angle the rudder hinge line back 15 deg. or so to keep the nose up. Old problem old cure. CRS
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:08 PM   #24
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
A bigger rudder would help to a point. A bigger rudder (moving the hingline) will allow the plane to be held at a potentially higher angle of attack in KE. The downside is it will make 4 points and slow rolls look funny because the plane kinda flops around. Ask me how I know
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.