Throttle Linkage Hookup - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Throttle Linkage Hookup

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This pertains to an OS FP Series engine.

I am trying to hookup the linkage to the throttle barrel arm. The problem is, the throttle barrel arm is too close to the engine. What I mean is, when I hook up an easy connector to the throttle barrel arm, the back of the easy connector rubs against the side of the engine (where the carburetor is). When I try to hook up just a plastic clevice to the throttle barrel arm, the clevice also rubs against the side of the engine.

So how do you connect the linkage to the throttle barrel arm, without it binding?

Since there are fairly common engines, I'm curious if anyone has this problem.

Poelzer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:33 AM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Don W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 43

Total Props: 1

Very carefully bend the throttle arm away from the carb, it will move just be gentle and only move it enough for the clearance needed
Tinman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
Alan Brace
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Alan B
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Why not just use a Z bend on the throttle end? move away from any connectors.
Alan Brace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bill O

throttle linkage hookup

I agree with Alan...
Use a Z bend at the engine and use the EZ connector at the servo.
Don't use too heavy of a wire. In case of a crash, a bit thinner wire may save your servo from getting stripped.

Some just make a right angle bend in the wire with the piece going through the linkage hole being long so it won't slip back out. Put it in from the engine side of the link of course.

Also, a brass clevis is smaller than the plastic type. (but then the treaded 256 rod is haevier than what you need to use as well.)
Bill O.
London, Ont.
BillO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4
Further to what Tinman said, it is possible that the throttle arm was pushed in from sitting around in the shop. You should be able to install a clevis and not have it bind. I usually bend them out a bit (very carefully) if I have this problem.
Dave V.
Burlington Radio Control Modelers
Team Skycraft
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
All good suggestions, although I don't like to use a metal clevis here if the arm is metal. Metal to metal connections can reuslt in something known as "sparking" under vibration. Although new receivers are more resistant to this type of RF noise, why take the chance?

Personally, I prefer a ball link on the throttle arm. This setup will not only gives you the extra clearance you're looking for but the result is a smoother linkage and easier maintenance (ball link pliers work well in tight spaces).
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
RCC Apprentice

for the suggestions. My concern was with what Jim was talking about - metal to metal contact. Also, the throttle arm is plastic, so I'm not sure how well it will bend. Perhaps I'll try the ball link suggestion. I might also check out to see if there are throttle arms that angle out - like on the new ax engines.
Poelzer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Lke Jim reccomends I also like the Dubro ball end and you can get the one with the stub that is less than 2/56 which fits the smaller glow engines. It just snaps on and works like a dream. For the metal to metal connection is what I was having problems with. Straightened it out going to the ball link. That was last week on an engine change.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.