Old 09-21-2006, 12:54 PM   #51
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Ron,

Sorry, I probably did not explain my thoughts thoroughly nor properly.

My assumption, was that each person would put their area of participation in the hobby on their next MAAC application form. This would also have extra fields asking their status as being in training, a pilot and a instructor on the next year's application form. It would not be mandatory, nor would there be any "tests", it would just be an information gathering tool based on trust.

Basically, it would just be a means to track which areas of the hobby are most active, and identify which areas we may need to work on if we want to. We would also find out what segment of our membership is in training, how many have their wings, and who are instructors.

However, I did suggest a system earlier that may work if we wanted to formalize a system, and it could only be done from a certain point on.

New members who do not have their wings, could start off with a "T" designation on their MAAC card and then upgraded with a sticker to a "P" until next year's card came out - the club instructor would be the issuer of the stickers provided by MAAC. It would be up to the Instructor, or Membership Director, of a club to inform MAAC when the "P" (or "I") status was obtained so it could then be put on next year's card.

To start the system, we would have to trust our membership to put accurate information on the next year's application form.

Volksman, at our club we do have a designated time for pilots in training. It is on Thursday evenings during the summer when there is enough light. The evening is specifically reserved for them so they can get as much air time as possible without distraction. The people in training can also fly any other time as long as they are supervised by a qualified pilot if they wish.

I also agree rules should be kept to a minimum, and flying should be fun. However, I also agree some rules are necessary for safety, and also to make sure we don't lose our fields due to noise or unsafe flying (over pit areas, parking etc.). I hope we are on the same page.

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #52
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8

Hi Jim,

I was typing away and missed your post until after I had posted. As always, you hit the nail on the head. I agree that some people are thinking from an independent point of view instead of the good of the organization.

In an earlier post you pointed out that a spreadsheet approach would not be the way to go, a better approach would be a database as you suggested.

I'm thinking that each club could send the information in, and the files could then be concatenated into one file when received by MAAC. It would be easy for the program to search the database (previously I suggested how MAAC could supply a common program, with common fields). However, I must admit, my programming skills are very rusty, and when I retired, I was managing and had very little hands on, but I have no problem working on a committee if necessary.

Again, as always, thanks for your input.

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #53
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Re: Database

Originally Posted by Wayne MIller
... and the files could then be concatenated into one file when received by MAAC. It would be easy for the program to search the database (previously I suggested how MAAC could supply a common program, with common fields)...
Again, let's leave solution(s) until the problem is defined. Small PC-based distributed databases exporting import files is a step ahead of spreadsheets but does not scale well. If an automated data collection methodology is required, I'd urge you to consider internet-type technologies as this will reduce issues issues of scalability, licensing costs, viruses, distribution, change control etc. etc.

I'm not endorsing this company (or solution) but, this may give you an idea of what's possible;
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:48 PM   #54
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Am I missing something if its information or a poll on each members interest isn't that already on the yearly application form?????

How many actually fill it out????
How many actually read it??????

Printing an area of interest on a MAAC card hmmmmm I cannot see this as something I need or want on my card it serves absolutely no purpose that I can see. Now that is only my opinion. I see the MAAC card as a document containing real information of value name, address, MAAC number proof of membership etc. Areas of interest mean little as they can change from time to time and are not a qualification of proficiency so in my opinion have no place on a MAAC card.

Instead it would be easier to come up with a recognized name tag listing your areas of interest. On top of that if you were to wear it well it would be in plane site for everyone to view.

I'm not against the idea I just don't see the point?????????????????????
If its voluntary it would be interesting to see how many would participate. Why not start a poll here and see what the response would be. We have a fair cross section of members here it should give you an idea how it might be received by the general membership.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:18 AM   #55
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0
Wayne, I've been thinking about your census idea.

That is what your proposing isn't it??

Why don't we do it.

Here's what it will take.

First off, we leave MAAC out of it. They don't want to do it, so we can. They could suggest questions for us to ask I suppose, but only a couple.

Take the entire nation, spit it up, either into zones, provinces, whatever. Get 1 volunteer to cover each area.

Either from here, or as a "committee", we do up a list of stuff that we want to ask. I'm thinking 2 sections. One with the MAAC #, the second that is anonymous.

The first part, ask specific questions regarding the Hobby, such as, interest, experience, competitions/year... whatever.

The second part, we could ask questions regarding "non maac" sanctioned flying, satisfaction with MAAC, .... whatever.

Seperate these so they don't think that we're out to rat out people.

Distribute the census questions to the clubs, and have them distribute them get filled out when club memberships are renewed. The club then sends them to the person incharge of the area, and they input the data into a spreadsheet. Stragglers or people who are paranoid can mail them to the person in charge of the area at their expense of course.

Once this is done, we can have some idea who does what in each area, and, if we get the current memebership numbers from MAAC at the time we end our census, we can see what percentage of participation we have.

I'm sure we could then get the results published in the MAAC mag, and see what we see.

Is there any value in all this? I'm really not sure. If participation was high, you could see just how active (insert discipline here) is.

I don't think any real value would be shown until you did it a second time, 2 or 3 years down the road.

Regarding the interests being on the MAAC membership form, they dont' seem to be on the renewal, at least not the online one.
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.