General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2006, 04:41 AM   #1
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8
Wind Speed

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This question may have a lot of answers and vareations , I m trying to set my limits as a new flyer . What is the max wind speed that new flyers would fly : Should we fly when their is a largr turnout at the feild : I know that this is kind of a , how good are you question , I don t think that a new flyer should always be pushing the envolope or the edge if you prefer . I think he should find his , comfort zone first , and be showen how to do so , just a thought .

michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:40 AM   #2
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

I found that the max wind speed was driven by the plane more than the pilot. For example, my .40 sized cub was a fright to fly in anything more than 5mph. My biplanes on the other hand preferred the wind because it lowered the ground speed for take-off and landing.
The real problem, especially for a beginner, is a cross wind. If you are not comfortable with crab landings, be sure that the wind is within 40 or so of "straight down the field".
Once you get your legs for a bit of wind you'll find that even on a windy day, the air near the ground is quite laminar. On your landing approach the plane may bob around a lot, but once you get into the last few feet of altitude I've found that the plane becomes reasonably predictable. Just remember to fly onto the field. Don't flare to early, especially on a gusty day since a 5mph sudden drop in wind speed could stall you at a bad time.
If you're not part of the solution... you may be insoluble!
jpmodels is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
As a new flyer last year I would have to say, go flying!

If someone else can fly in it you should learn how.

was that the airspeed velocity of an african or european swallow ?
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Doug J

Wind Speed

I agree 100%
If you don't fly in the wind you won't be flying much!
Work with an instructor to help you get the feel for sensing the plane's airspeed in different wind conditions.
You will become a much better pilot and have more fun too.

dhj42 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
I have to agree with JPmodels on this one. I am also a relatively new flyer such as yourself and found that once I moved from my high wing trainer to a sport plane I could fly in windier conditions. I got very tired of packing up my trainer while everyone else would continue to fly their low wing sport planes. I also know exactly how you feel about flying when there are lots of people around. I was so self conscious about possibly crashing with a crowd around I no longer enjoyed flying when there were more than two or three people at the field. In my opinion if someone is going to judge you for crashing as a new pilot they are the ones that don't belong at the field not you. The fact you are asking these questions tells me you already use good judgement. So get out there and fly that plane of yours.
Also if you are still flying your trainer and having problems in the wind I suggest you buy a low wing plane if you feel you are up to it. They fly in the wind. The are easier to fly inverted. And they look cool!

I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor

Re: Wind...

Originally Posted by jpmodels
Once you get your legs for a bit of wind you'll find that even on a windy day, the air near the ground is quite laminar. .
Unless you happen to fly at my field. Push the envelope and fly in as much wind as is reasonable for you plane and field conditions. Finding a "comfort level" is all well and good but you can never, ever improve.

As in life you must constantly be pushing the envelope and stepping outside your comfort level to improve! To not do so is only cheating yourself.

I know it is hard, but try not to be intimidated by crowds. Unless you are very good or very scary and dangerous, no one will ever be paying much attention. Generally most behind your back comments will be positive about how you are improving and such.
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
RCC Contributor

the strength of the wind means nothing until you are appoaching your planes limits in terms of airspeed and most [even trainers] will fly in winds up to 30 knots

its the turbulence that the winds create that cause all the trouble

remember this ;; even on no-wind days if you were able to stick your head out the window of the plane .you would find that theres a real blast of air going over the wing so why is it any differant on high wind days?

there is NO differance at all other than the turbulence from trees.corn etc will extend further back than usual and also be more aggressive

wind creates airspeed ,know the differance between airspeed and ground speed BUT most of all understand the turbulence

its very similiar to canoing down a river ,,its not the current thats bothersome ,its the white water [eddies] that are the concern

theres no place,like cloud base!
j-coles is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.