Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2006, 04:37 AM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4
Saito 1.80 deadstick(s)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys,

Just wondering if there are any Saito experts that can give me some advice. I have a Saito 1.80 (almost 4 gallons through it). I was flying Saturday and had approx. 12 flights during the day. The first ten problem as before. The last two flights I had a deadstick both times. The first deadstick I just thought that it must have been a fluke since the engine performed so well prior to that and I didn't touch the settings. The second deadstick convinced me that there was a problem. In both cases, it didn't die on full throttle but rather when I went to idle. I keep my idle high in the air (approx. 2,900 RPM) and then lower the idle for landings. It was slightly cooler in the evening than it was during the day but not by much. I did notice however quite a bit of dampness in the air during the evening and condensation was forming on the planes. Also, both deadsticks occurred approx. 2 minutes into the flight.

a while ago I had a deadstick on idle and one of the club members suggested that my idle was too low for flying (normal idle for me is about 1,900 RPM). He suggested to increase the idle for flying and then reduce for landing. I have been doing this and it worked for a couple of gallons but now with the recent deadsticks I'm wondering if I have a low end adjustment issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave V.
Burlington Radio Control Modelers
Team Skycraft
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: robert j

Total Props: 0
my guess is plain ole glow plug getting bad. thats the first obvious one just because ya dont get much of an rpm drop when glow removed or it will glow redish orange doest mean its healthy ive found.
volksman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
My Saito 72 dead sticked a couple of times, glow was fine.

The o-ring beween the draft tube on the carb and the cylinder head had slipped out. Hard to see with a cowl in place. I took off the carb and pushed it back in, no more problems.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
I've got a few Saitos and they are all basically the same. 1900 idle is fine especially in the air, because the windmill effect will move it up anyway.

A few suggestions from my personal experience: 1) New engine probably been run real rich up to now so change the plug, (and throw the other one away) 2) readjust your valve settings, 3) Tach engine to max rpm and then reduce by richening needle valve setting, 300 rpm, this should now be the way it is always set, 4) readjust low idle set screw to get smooth idle at 1900.

I think if you do all 4 in that order and at once you will be a very happy Saito owner without any trouble.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4
Thanks for the info. guys. The Saito has been sitting since the deadsticks as I've been busy with the assembly of a new plane and the weather hasn't been the best this past week. I will implement the suggestions and let you guys know how it works out.

Dave V.
Burlington Radio Control Modelers
Team Skycraft
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
You say the engine ran great for the first 10 flight and then suddenly started to dead stick?

Was the last landing prior to the deadsticks nice and smooth or could you possibly have bumped the plane on landing causing the clunk to fold back into the front of the tank? I've had this happen a few times. Just another thing thats easy to check before taking more drastic measures. As has been mentioned a couple of times, it may very well be the glow plug especially if you've been running the engine rather rich!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1
That's a very ineteresting behaviour for your Saito engine.

In the past, I had two Saito engines - a 45 and 90 twin.

In each case, it was impossible to get reliable runs. They would deadstick, entirely randomly. There was no way to predict whether or not they would complete a flight (well, I suppose they always did complete a flight - when they conked, the flight was over!). There was no way to isolate what was casuing ther erratic performance.

These are the only engines in my entire 50+ years of aeromodelling with glow engines and diesels that I have not been able to successfully run an engine.

Plugs, fuel lines, tank location, fuel type and brand, props, plug ignition at idle, carb settings, idel speeds - none of it made a hoot of difference.

Those engines would just die whenever they felt like it regardelss of the change in any variables, including engine speed while flying or aircraft attitude.

The only cure was to sell them off.

And I don't care how attractive any product from Saito appears on paper or how much anyone says they are great, my experience proved otherwise.

Perhaps Saito's newer engines are better. But why should I spend my money to take a big fat several hundred $$ chance of a repeat? They proved themselves as duds twice in my case.

Sell of that boat anchor and you'll finally and forever more solve the problem!
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:35 PM   #8
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0
Just thinking out loud here.

Could the fuel have taken on moisture during the day?? Enough to cause problems?

It's a long shot I think, but I have visions of a full gallon of fuel in the morning, down to 1/8 of a gallon in the evening, and the temperature dropping, condensation as the day wears on??
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.