Pacific Aeromodels tigermoth 30 arf is junk - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
ARF / ARC Aircraft Discuss anything and everything ARF or ARC related.

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Pacific Aeromodels tigermoth 30 arf is junk

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I bought a pacific Tiger Moth 30 sized arf, and have had nothing but trouble putting it together. It is supposed to be 96% complete. The wheel collars wouldn't fit the landing gear, so I bought new ones. My 40 sized engine won't fit, so I bought a new one.

the throttle rod is not long enough, so I've got to get a new one. Had to chop the hell out of the cowling to get it to fit. Ran out of self tapping screws, so I've go to buy more. Standard size servo's fit everywhere but the alierons, and nothing is said in the instructions about using smaller ones, so there is two more servos to buy. Can't for the life of me figure out where the receiver and battery is going to be mounted, and I checked the assembly of the top wing, and there are huge gaps. Also the bolt holes for the mounting of the bottom wing don't exactly line up right so you gotta wiggle the wing around to get the plastic screws in, leaving a bit of a gap between the wing sections on the bottom. Tried calling and e-mailing the company, but got no response, and I wanna fly her before the season is over. HELP!!!!!!
I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care
tvguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:00 AM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Alright, I will help.

First off, I went to the website of the manufacturer. There is an addendum for your model. Do you have it?

Second. It says micro servos in ailerons.

Third. Maybe the wing problem is in the assembly? I've built a few planes already, but my first ARF I joined the wings wrong. Don't ask. I cussed and swore, and made it work.

Cowls, until you have done a few, get hacked up. I have 3 planes with em. One is so full of holes, it hardly looks like a cowl. The entire bottom has been removed. Another is full of holes, and getting replaced soon. I've changed the orientation of the engine 3 times, and had to cut more holes every time. The third, I cut as few holes as I could. After I got sick of taking the head off to remove the cowl to adjust the carb, I cut a bigger hole. I'm now deciding on how much more to remove to get the engine to run correctly and not overheat. If I had done this in the first place, I wouldn't be stting up the carb all the time!

As far as the end of season, I can make a few suggestions there too.

1) Dress warm
2) pack 2 thermos. One full of hot water, to splash on your engine before you start it. The other full of a hot beverage or soup for you.
3) bring a tobaggon or something. If you can't drive in to the field, you can put it all on the sled and drag it out there.
4) Bring gluves, with the fingers cut out. YOu may want to wear a neckstrap as well, in case your fingers slip.
5)Make or buy a set of skis for your plane. Floats will work too, but skis are good enough.
6)Bring a big piece of plywood. Use it to compact the snow where you want to take off. Landing doesn't matter, but takeoffs you need a compact place.
7) Bring a buddy. It's nice to have a hand compacting the runway, and it's funner with a buddy!

I have, in the past, drug out guy's to go flying at 30 below Celcius. We only had 1 flight each that day, but we did it. 10 or 15 below isn't too bad though. The touch and goes in nice powder sure look cool. The prop does weird things to the snow!

Although I have no snow to deal with (I've moved to where it just rains), I still have to walk out to the field, and dress up for the rain, and I've even wrapped my transmitter in a bag so it doesn't get wet. The plane didn't care, nor my hands, I was just worried about the electronics. The season never "ends" it just slows down a bit. On a crap day, I will head out for 1 or 2 hours instead of 12, but I'm still flying.
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
RCC Apprentice

Moth Problems

I do have an addendum for my model, but I looked at it again, and no mention of micro servos, guess they updated it again since the one I have was packaged. As far as the assembly of the wings, no its not in the assembly, there is only one way to put them together, and I know the prob lem lies in the manufacturing (poor quality control). I think I got the one lemon on the assembly line, as others I know with this ARF have not had problems.

Thanks also for the winter tips. I have plans in the works already to make a set of ski's for this plane and my trainer as well. My brother-in-law drives stock cars on the week-end, and there is lots of sheet metal lying around at the shop next tomy house. My father-in-law said I could grab what ever I need.
I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care
tvguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
But TVGUY, the review in MAN a few years back states that it is a wonderful ARF and is easily built. They also say that it flys really nice as well. I wonder wehre you have gone wrong.....Magazines don't fib..
Just kidding( my tongue is very much planted in my cheek). I have read many glowing review of planes that were junk from the opening of the box. I hope that you are able to get it together and it flys better than you expirence in building it.
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.