Second Heli - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Kevin L
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1
Second Heli

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I started learning to fly a Blade CP a month ago and now that I can hover for a complete battery I am thinking about my next heli. I am thinking about one of the T-Rex models as I want to stay with electric for now. It is about an hour drive to the local field so nitro doesn't really interest me right now.
So my question is which of the Rex models should I be looking at? I don't want something that will be too touchy on the controls as I am still a newbie at this. Also should I stay with one that has direct to swash linkages like the CP has?
stikflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Keith M

Total Props: 2
I currently have both the 450xl se and the 600. Both are exellant machines and fly well. The 450 is good if you want to fly indoors during the winter as well as outdoors. The 600 is good for outdoors only as it is the same size as a 50 size nitro. Either way you will need to have a minimum of three battries and a lipo charger if you want to have a good flying day due to the distance to the field. The 450 can be a little twitchy but you can calm it down and the 600 should fly hands free right off the bench. hope this helps you a little.
kwm is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Nick P
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0
id say the 450xl. not the se version, as your just learning right now and that extra bling wont do anything for you.

the 600 is a great heli, but youd probably need to go to the nitro field to fly it. plus the battery packs are expensive, and you wont get much flight time compared to a 450.

the 450 is touchy, but you will learn with it, then you will have amazing control over a 30 or 50 or whatever your next heli is because you will be used to making such small corrections.

i remember my first time hovering a nitro after flying my shogun. it started drifting, then i gave input to correct as if iwere flying the electric. it continued to drift... almost hit our lawnmower by the time i stopped it.

the 450 will be a great learning tool for you, and when you become more competent at flight you will be able to do good 3d with it. kinda an all around trainer/3d flier.
hydravien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
In my opinion, it really depends more on your budget. The SE is very precise and the metal parts are really tough. The plastic head parts on the CDE/HDE will break in a crash. The only real weak point on the SE is really the frame parts - still tougher than the CDE/HDE's parts, but more expensive to replace. The SE is more precise. It's much more expensive to buy a CDE/HDE and upgrade it over time to an SE bit by bit.

Either way you go, you can tame a heli down by lowering the headspeed, lowering pitch, reducing cyclic rate using flybar weights and by using dual rates and expo on cyclic.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Nick P
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0
not saying it isnt precise, i havent flown it, but i personally cant justify the cost for the se. its $600 vs the cde and hde are around $200.

if i had the extra $ though, id buy the se, but i fly nitros mostly, and $600 goes a long way towards a bigger heli.
hydravien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.