DHC-2 Beaver - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Derek Blackadder

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just don't forget the glass of red (something rich, heavy) and a cigar. The instructions don't mention them, but they are a crucial part of the process.
Derek Blackadder
Cobourg, ON
DBlackadder is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:35 AM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Rob S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2
I built the Unionville 8 foot version almost 16 yrs ago. I agree with one of the previous posters who said the fuse looked a little boxy and I thought with all the tapered tail surfaces it was a plane more suited to some one who'd already gotten a couple of builds under their belt.

Anyways, the kit was great, good quality wood. I recessed the fire wall so that I could fit my old super tiger 2000 up front. The struts are functional so make sure you use them. I was white knuckled on the maiden flight but really didnt need to have been so worried as this plane took off dead straight and very gently...... within seconds I calmed down as I quickly realized I had a pussycat on my hands.

I did try a set of those old pointy Unionville floats but found them too narrow at the front and the plane had a tendancy to dip the tips and dig in. I then tried regular broader fronted foam/glassed floats and it started to behave 100% better. In retrospect that Beaver became one of the nicest flying planes I ever owned in 25 yrs of flying.

The Unionville experience was a totally positive one for me, and no they didnt pay me to say that, their Beaver is a beautifully flying airplane, I promise you wont be dissapointed with it.
Heliboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:55 AM   #13
RCC Apprentice

Re: Floats

Originally Posted by cf-drg
Foam floats are the easiest to make, but you have to know how to make them... A good wood kit for that model (6' Uni Beaver) would be the Great Planes 40 size sport float kit.. They're pretty good,scale wise,and an easy kit to build... Some people don't like the wood ones but I have had a pair of the 60 size (Great Planes) ones on my 8' beaver for over 7 years now and they don't leak..
One thing to consider, is the Great Planes floats are HEAVY.
I have built a set of G/P .40 size floats, and they are over twice the weight of the large size Unionville floats.
The Great Planes floats are virtually "bullet-proof" tho....

....keep on building
nitehawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #14
gerry clace
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: gerry c.

Total Props: 1
Beaver floats

Look up the Sea Commander site guy's, they have some awesome stuff to make the Beaver look like the real thing. I don't know how pricey this stuff will be to Canada, but it sure looks nice on the web site. Just my two cents. Gerry
gerry clace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Derek Blackadder

Very cool, thanks!
Derek Blackadder
Cobourg, ON
DBlackadder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:53 AM   #16
RCC Supreme Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

EDO Floats for 6' UN Beaver

If any of you need 40 sz EDO floats, then let me know i have B/N set of foam floats that are no use to me, i believe these are Unoinville too...
Do sign the petiton. www.canadiansuperconnie.org We could Save our Connie CF-TGE, We still have chance, Once gone we will lose our History and Heritage forever....
Concordefan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #17
RCC Noob

Well after taking some time off after Xmas, I started working away on my Unionville 6' Beaver again and have some questions if someone can help me.
1) I finished mounting the engine mount and have fastened the firewall to the fuselage. As I mentioned in my first post, I plan on using my Supertigre 45 on the plan. Most of you probably know the stock muffler on this engine is pretty big and would stick out the side of the cowl. Since I want to make the plane as realistic as possible, I have looked at a Pitts style muffler so that the exhaust stacks protrude out the bottom of the cowl. If I go this route, can the muffler be mounted on the bottom of the firewall? If so, how do I route the exhaust from the side of the engine (assuming it is mounted upright) around and down to the muffler? Is there such a thing as flexible exhaust pipe? Or do I have to mount the engine sideways?

2) The plans call for bellcranks and pushrods in the wing for the flaps and ailerons. The owner of the hobby store suggested for the ailerons, I should mount individual servos on the outboard end of the wing. For the flaps, to make a groove in the leading edge of each, epoxy some wire in, link them together by brazing them I guess and have one servo under the center of the wing pushing and pulling the wire. Am I on the right track here? I have already picked up some extra servos at the Whitby swap meet just past so I'm good to go this way.

Thanks for your input.
Cam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:04 AM   #18
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: r

Greetings, I just happen to have a set of 32" fiberglass Sea Commander floats with COMPLETE scale mounting system. Aluminum air foil shaped struts and spreaders, full hardware pack, very detailed instruction manual. These have never been used, just unpacked and looked at. These floats make the beaver look very scale and are tough as nails. E-mail me @ rene_prefontaine@shaw.ca we may be able to work something out. Thanks Sparky
sparkysrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.