Now here is a seroius E Heli smack video - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I agree with OIC. Electric technology is growing at an astonishing rate while IC technology is essentially stagnant (most of its developments are in large gas engines).

Already we see electrics are more powerful than IC - the only advantage that the IC has over electric is the noise. Although it's sad to say, it doesn't matter how powerful the power system actually is, if it's doesn't sound powerful than it's not impressive. Perhaps we need nosy electric motors so that they will appeal to the judges.

I think that this attitude will shift when the electrics are so much more powerful that their advantage will be so clear. When the 90 ICs start looking like the Trex 600 on 6S at XFC when compared to the latest electric power system, then the lack of noise won't matter. Besides, noise is a definite disadvantage at nearly every flying field except competitions. Fields are closing down or are being reloacted everyday due to noise issues.

Let's face it - competitions at the highest levels relies on sponsorship and those sponsors want to sell product. If there is more market share in electrics, guess what will be flown at competitions? In fact, we've already seen this influence at XFC and IRCHA. Just wait until the 90 size electric market opens up - it's just a matter of time. Enegry density in batteries is going up all the time and with convergence of electric markets (how many nitro IC powered hand tools do you see?) it's just a matter of time before we see cheap, safe, ultra powerful batteries (or other mass market electric technologies). This will come faster than people think.

Personally, I give it 2-3 years - after all, lipos have only seriously been around in R/C for a couple of years and look how much they've advanced in that period.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #12
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Personally, I think nitro in a helicopter sounds silly. Electric (and turbine) sound alot better in helicopter applications. The "wow" sound you get from the rotor chop and whine from an electric motor is alot cooler than you get from the nitro, which just sounds like a loud weed whacker. Big electrics aren't very "quiet" in my opinion. Certainly not as noisy as a nitro, but not quiet, by any stretch of the imagination.

On the other hand, it's hard to beat nitro for airplanes (and even RC cars/trucks). Electric airplanes, even if they have impossible ammounts of power, just sound..lame, in comparison . Seeing a warbird scream by on a 4 stroke engine is AWESOME!

But yes, while I don't think IC will ever phase out completely, electric will most definately end up taking center stage I think. It already is, in many clubs.
True Northern Hobbies, Inc.
Credence is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Shawn S

Total Props: 19
Don't forget how many Electrics there were at the 3D Masters, alot there were.
Once upon a time there were Nitros, Flybars & Frequency pins
My Main OL Photo Gallery:
OICU812 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: carlyle anderson

I know I can't wait to get mine. I would like to get a 50 sized electric next year some time. I still can't decide between the Trex600 or the upcomming eRaptor.

I am excited about the electric heli though. The fact that it has more power, no mess, no vibration, etc. I want one.
you don't need CNC if you are handy with a torch.
Carlyle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:45 PM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Nick P
Radio of choice:

carlyle: why not go for the razor?
i think that might be my next heli but in the nitro version (cant afford electrics yet).

but that has got to be the best electric vid i have seen to daye.
hydravien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:57 PM   #16
RCC Contributor
I am: Nathan M.

Originally Posted by hydravien
carlyle: why not go for the razor?
The videos of the razor running the same power system as this logo 14 aern't nearly as impressive.
The razor is a full pound heavier than the logo 14, on the same size blades...

The razor looks like a nice heli, but it begs for a stretch to 690mm blades.
NTM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:16 AM   #17
RCC Apprentice
I am: Dan K.

There are 90 sized electrics with massive power. 10S or 12S voltage has opened a lot of doors for the larger machines.

The advantage that nitro has over electric for me is the ability fly a LOT in a day. Land, refill, go fly. With electric, you have to cool the pack, recharge, then go fly.

For me (especially while setting up a new heli), it's essential to be able to fly a lot, it's the only way to really progress with helis. I'm simply not willing to go out and buy 3 or 4 large LiPo packs just so that I can fly an electric heli instead of glow, it makes no sense to me (lottery win could change all that though).

I'm all for electric power, I prefer it over glow any day. All my airplanes are electric, and one of them is over 1500 watts. So I'm definitely not a glow snob, but I'm not anti-glow either, I just try to be realistic in what I'm getting in return for my dollars.

Meneer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.