Is this a good idea? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #21
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Charlie L.

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Mitch Cronin
Originally Posted by ronnieo
They could have donated the planes to those less fortunate
Bingo!! How many 12 yr old kids wouldn't just die to have either one of those?!

selfish pricks.
My thoughts exactly,except maybe a 36 year old instead
Charles Lockyer
Hr.Grace, NL
chuck_zc is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #22
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
For all you guys that don't think it was THAT dangerous or RISKY or in violation of safety rules,(all kinds of people in front of the flight line), I 've got an idea.

Why don't we link this and other videos like this to our insurer and ask for some professional input. Insurance is just risk management, you know, we move it from ourselves to the big bad insurance company. I wonder if they want this type of behaviour moved to them.

Until AMA and MAAC take a firm stand on this type of behaviour, especially when an apparently large number of onlookers are involved, trust me the insurance companies will.

It sort of like the old drinking and driving thing. We are now encouraged to take peoples keys to save them and others from terrible potential problems.

The law has decided that taking licenses and heavy fines does help in people making the ultimate drink and drive decision. You will never get rid of the idiots, but until some clubs and individuals are confronted with loss of membership and or field sanctioning. the nonsense will continue.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #23
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
The sad part is, a huge percent of the population will agree that it was done "safely". And the way the outcome was, sure, nobody got hurt, but how many people thought about the possibility of the tail rotor getting hit and an uncontrollable heli coming into the pits? Or the main rotor getting hit and breaking and a blade coming into the pits? For the most part I'm sure the people involved played it out similar to how it happened with no thought to the potential risks involved.

So on one hand I can see where Mike felt it wasn't "unsafe", on the other hand, if I saw somebody doing something like that at my field I'd either make them leave, or leave myself, I try to plan out my flights in a "what will I do should this happen" scenario, and I try to consider what could happen when somebody else is flying. The risks I am willing to undertake in this hobby are those which happen when people are following rules and taking care of their equipment. I'm not willing to take the risks of people doing stupid things such as in this video. No different than driving with somebody else, I'm willing to take the risks involved in driving my own car or with another person, but I won't risk getting into a car with somebody who is intoxicated or otherwise, sure, the outcome MIGHT be fine with minimal or no damage, but it could prove fatal.

In the case of this video, all I have to say is "Damn heli guys"
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #24
RCC Contributor
I am: grant

Total Props: 1
my god.... i dunno what to say..... most of that is pretty dam stupid. And in front of a crowd yet and what looked to be a tv crew there too... great advertiseing for our hobby..... not.

On one hand, ya it was kinda funny... that dive AND save in the corn field was great, but not the deliberate attempt to pile that plane in. That heli move... was really dumb... especially pickin it up while it was running, and throwing it.

Everybodys opinon is correct i think.. from just the dumbest thing to down right hilarious, to insurers would have a prob, to a 12 yr old kid would love to have that....

The whole clip reminds me of the " dura plane movie".. where they test that plane with shot guns, and run it into things, etc to show how in destructable it is...

For the most part it is a senseless waste of time, energy and money to do that, and if you are that bored with the hobby, then time to move on. And as far as the safety issue goes... one could argue it was done safely, cuz every one knew what was going on, etc etc.... but really.... was it ??

That wasn't a very big field, and who knows how far a rotor blade will go flyin when it breaks... whos to say, that heli wouldn't have done a hard turn, and head straight for the crowd when hit with a potatoe???? Take out the wrong linkage and it just might have... or jar the reciever and lose all control of that heli. No doubt that wasn't thought of when that hair brained idea was thought of.

I have been in this hobby almost 25 years, and have seen alot happen.The interent has made it worse, as this info spreads like wild fire on here. I have seen the omg i don't have its and seen the result, and fortunatly no one was seriously hurt. Except for some bruised egos. I myself almost got drilled at a fun fly years ago, because of either in experience, or just stupidity. I got outa the way, one of my planes wasn't as fortunate however. It ruined my weekend.

We do take calculated risks at fun flys... ribbon cutting, limbo, etc. Miss haps do happen. But every time you put a plane in the air, its a risk, and the risk increases, with each aditional plane that is launched.... can you say mid air?? And I am sure most of us have done the occasional boner.....

anyways, i am now ranting.... for the most part, this kind of practise should not be condoned, or encouraged... because sh"" does happen, and thats what our insurance is for... not because somebody got a new toy and decides to see what harm he/she can do with it. and yes.. their charter, and or insurance should be pulled, if not on a club scale, then at least on an individual scale. Only trouble is, who is gonna admit they did this ???
happy flying
juice90 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.