RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

Total Props: 0
Thanks giving crash......

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I managed to get some flying in this weekend too. I spent most of the week before doing some modifications to my Laker after I maidened it earlier this summer. Got all the changes completed in time to take it up to the cottage. I couldn't have ordered a better day for flying. She past the preflight inspection and range check. Fired up right away. Man does she look sweet taxiing out, I really like this plane. Take off and turn for a left circuit when I go to level out from the turn no responce. She is starting to go down at an alarming rate with no indication of any control surfaces responding to my inputs and the engine is still at full throttle despite the stick set at idle. She hits the water with a tremendous whomp. Fortunately there was no one around but my family members on shore, boy did they give it to Hop in the chase boat out to the crash site and find a debris field that stretches 200' in diameter. The only recognizable piece was the tail section. I managed to find the servos, receiver and swith harness. The battery and OS 46FX are long gone to the bottom of the lake. I salvaged what I could from the reckage and burned that b* that night in the fire. The thing that bugs me most about this is I didn't get all the pieces back to determine what the heck happened. Obviously I had a radio failure in the onboard components as none of them responded to my inputs but I don't know if the battery failed or not, I can and will test what I have recovered of course. If anybody has a submersible metal detector, there is an OS 46FX at the bottom of Miller Lake near Tobermory. I say a submersible metal detector because I have been diving in this lake before and my fins add about 2' to my body length and I am 6'6" tall. This lake is fairly clear until the bottom, which has a defined line. I was decending from the surface feet first in a vertical position and could see the bottom clearly but I did not contact it with my fins like I was expecting. When I looked straight down my body I could see that my body had gone below the defined line of the bottom of the lake to my stomach with no sign of solid ground at all. If I were to guess I would think that there has to be 10'-15' of silt in this part of the lake. You won't find anything with out a metal detector and a strong magnet to lift it out.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Not Good.....

Sorry to hear that Ted, i know what went through your mind at the moment when you noticed loss of control on your plane, My experimantal went in at last year's KW scale rally almost the same way, after i did couple of circuits and then wanted to do a low level high speed pass, at that time my model was turning towards the runway from vally's side and and was heading stright for me, i lost the controls of it at that point all of sudden, i tried by giving different movements on the sticks but totally lost the control and told my watcher that i have no control on my plane, suddenly it gained more throttle and started to climp at steep angle, went over the flight line, over the crowd and crashed in the backyard of somebody's house at full blast!, since that was public event my heart was out of my chest at that time and i was praying and hoping it dosen't hurt anybody on the ground, and thank God it diden't!.

Upon the recovery of the wreckage the first thing i did was to check my radio, after recnnecting the electronics back and turning it on, everything seemed to work fine!, it was bazzar what had actually happened, most of the guys suggested that i got hit and had lost the control of my plane!, I think what might have happened in your case seems to be like battery connector wasen't secure properly and it might have come off with vibration and caused loss of recieving signals from TX and loss of control in one perticular angle.....

Yes i remember seeing that Laker at your place and it was one nice looking model, sorry about the loss budd...

Do sign the petiton. We could Save our Connie CF-TGE, We still have chance, Once gone we will lose our History and Heritage forever....
Concordefan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Ted, I lost one on Thanksging as well. I share your grief. It's a shame about the gear you lost.

Sammy. My heart is still in my chest since my crash! I hope you got yours back inside!

I know why I crashed too. The engine died, I got angry, tried to go around, but with only 30 feet of altitude, it just slammed into the shrubs about 60' to the side of the runway. I was looking for high rates to pull it up, but it didn't work. I think I just got switch happy, and didn't know what was where anymore!
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
I've heard about this and seen it happen, much more likely that the battery disconnected. Sad thing too.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Sorry to hear that Ted.

Were you using a PCM Receiver? I believe the Tx you're using (9303) sets throttle to idle/cutoff eve if you didn't program it.... id you notice if the the throttle retarded at the moment you lost control? If not, I agree, probably loss of power to the Rx.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

After the crash and the subsequent searching for a reason I realized that IF I was using a PCM receiver that I could have eleminated some possible reasons for the crash aftr the fact by going over the responses or lack there of when loss of control occured. If I was using a PCM receiver and the throttle did not change then a battery failure/disconnect would be the most likely cause. Another reason for PCM.

One thing that I know for sure was the battery was connected even after the crash because it did not disconnect until I picked up the floating radio reckage and it then went kurrplunk..........icing on the cake, salt in the wound or just plain a kick in the b*.

BTW Jim, this is the plane I offered to you for the weekend at Chris'. Glad you didn't take? I bet so. This thought is actually making me laugh quite a bit. If you hadn't done so much for me already, I would have forgiven you if you offered me your DR-1......LMAO. Thats fair right? A Laker for a scratch built world competition Fokker DR-1. I think so. Any other planes I can offer to you?
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 11
I'd suggest that a battery should not be able to unplug itself simply with its own weight ... sould like a loose connection to me.
Keith Morison
MAAC 24909L
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.