mechanical retract - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
mechanical retract

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
when i buy a set of trike mechancial retracts there is a way to get it to rotate with rudder for steering on the ground right?

just looking at the pictures of them i have no idea how it would work but i am sure there has to be a way to set it up...

thanks in advance for any advice

Speed is Life. Altitude is Life Insurance!!

Andrew Armstrong
MAAC # 70379

Funtana S .40
Great Planes Spitfire 40
Top Flite Gold P-47
wingman2003 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:44 AM   #2
Don M.

Yes Sir there sure is. The steering pushrod is attached to a clevis that slides up and down on the retract allowing you to steer when it is extended.

I have had both air & mechanical retract systems and although the mech. are harder to set up, once they are I find them a lot LESS work than the air IMHO.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8
I wish to join this thread .

I have just ordered a Carl Goldberg Tiger 60 with retracts . I have down loaded the plans of the plane and the retracts and I have noticed that there are two servos for the retracts , and reading this thread are you telling me that I cann t steer the plane with tri-gear . This will be my first plane with retracts and with air at that . Question 1 , can I steer the plane with tri-gear ? Question 2 , what the hect is the second servo for ?

Please remember that this is my first plane with retracts and am totaly green

Michel ( Mike )
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
A typical pneumatic (air) tricycle retractable gear set up will use one servo to operate an air valve to raise and lower the gear, and a second servo to stear the nose gear. Airplanes with stearable retactable nose gear typically do not use the rudder servo to stear.

JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Some of them use the rudder servo and usually off the other side of the servo arm. This is on the smaller 40 size where room is a problem. Usually it is a cable to the nose gear but as I don't like stripping gears I make my own servo saver. I mount a compression spring in a break in the cable and hook the cable to each end of the spring and solder. I put a small washer on the ends so they don't come out of the spring. It is flimzy but I don't strip gears. If the nose gear has 2 takeoffs for the steering arm then I use 2 springs in tension with 2 cables.
Do not want to start anything but most of the trainer types and a lot of Sig airframes use only the one servo. More high performance use a separate servo as the landing speeds are a little heavy when touching down.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor

A lot of times the linkage and servo installation are much easier by going with 2 separate servos. In the larger planes, the rudder servo is in the tail anyways...

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.