D tube dilemma. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2006, 12:26 AM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0
D tube dilemma.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I bought a partially framed up airframe off a guy on here. Last night, I started finishing it up, and I noticed the shear webs are on teh wrong side of the spar.

I have 3 options.
1) Continue putting them on the wrong side. Im not sure what this will do to the struture, probably nothing, but I'd like to ask.
2) Put the rest of them on the correct side.

3) Put the another set on the correct side, leaving the "incorrect" ones where they are.

This is a Skyward 60, which is a heavy plane to begin with. I'm going to be drilling a bunch of holes in the slabs of balsa in the fuse, and I'd hate to add weight if I don't need to. (I'm not normally concerned with weight, but this is REALLY heavy, even for my standards). I don't care about deviating from the plans, but I don't want to affect the integrity of the spar. The front of the wing gets sheeted, top and bottom, to the rear of the spar. if I were to place the shear webs where the plans indicate, they would be on the leading edge of the spar. They are currently on the TE of the spar. (which will be outside of the sheeting)

I'm concerned, as I've recently found a fondness for overpowering and totally thrashing on trainer type aircraft. I need this wing to be strong, so it will withstand the punishment, yet still be able to tow something if required, or even to be used as a demo plane for new guys.

Here's 3 thousand more words, hopefully it's easier to understand what I face. Any input appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1010_210.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	19995   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1102_162.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	19996   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1103_582.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	19997  
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:27 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Mike, it really doesn't matter which side they are on, but I think I would leave the ones that are on wrong and just redo on the correct side. Probably be good to do both wings the same though.
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:20 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6
If it was me, I would pop the shear webs off and recut them so they fit inbetween the spars. You end up with a I Beam which is much stronger. It is more work because you can't have any space between the spar and shearweb. I would also put thicker webs near the root of the wing and workout to thinner webs near the tip.

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
I've seen other planes with the sheer web on the rear side of the spars.

As long as 1) they are well glued 2) the grain runs veritically, I don't think it make a rat's ass of difference.

I would put them all on the same side to make the two halves of the wing consistant with each other.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
For this particular application I dont think it will make any difference whether the webs are on the front or back.
I would keep all the webs on the back of the spars on both wings and make sure to carry the front sheeting back and over the spars and webs.
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
Has the same strength on either side of the spar. Sheeting usually goes halfway across the spar. When you put the capstrips down, they cover the back half of the spar to the trailing edge sheeting.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Thanks guy's.

I'm going to put them all on the back.

Tough days when I have to go to the internet to get modellers opinions. ARF's don't teach you nothing about construction!!!

Well, there is that one guy, but he has funny ideas, and makes mountains out of molehills, and has 3 stories for every problem.
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6

Considering how much extra weight that TWO sets of shear webs won't add, I say that either side or both sides will be adequate. I-beams are stronger, but I find that they are best built by someone with more patience than I have.

I don't build any model (except rubber power) without D-tube, it just works too well for the small amount of added weight.
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.