switching from NITRO to electric.. QUESTIONS - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
switching from NITRO to electric.. QUESTIONS

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello, I have decided to stop flying my aerobat 40 because it turned out to be a filthy mess. I like the power that a real nitro engine can offer but the clean-up is awful. So this winter I will be -hopefully- flying some sort of basic electric airplane. I flew my aerobat for a total of not more than 10 hours. So i must ask the question, do i buy a trainer electric plane or do i simply go ahead and buy an electric plane that is more difficult?

Are there any major differences between nitro and electric? For example, how does an electric plane handle in light winds -they tend to be a lot lighter-???

And yes i will keep my nitro plane for the summer. Starting the engine is another hassle in the winter.
dvdk87 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
I wouldn't bother with a trainer if you are already an accomplished flyer.

If you like the plane you are flying just convert it to Electric.

I am not into either, I fly gas so maybe some questions over in the Electrics forums will net you some better results.

Out of curiosity what brand and coloutr of fuel are you using. Perhaps you are using a castor oil bassed fuel and just need to switch to a full synthetic fuel like Cool Power and most of that slime will go away.

Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor

If you do switch to electric buy quality items such as brushless motors and lipos, it will save you in the long run. The one downside is batteries do not like cold weather either!

If you have an indoor venue then that might be a good idea. perhaps a slow stick.
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

I recently started flying electrics. I bought a mini Funtana, and I learned my first difference right away. TOO MUCH THROW~!!!

I had to dial it WAY down right away so I wan't overcontrolling it.

Watch this if it has lots of throw, dial it down until your confortable with it.

I can fly the mini Funatana in a stiff breeze without too much problems. Just have to use the rudder alot.
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.