RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #11
Sonic Boomer
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Re:glow or gas

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Have you checked out popcan's string under 'Fixed Wing' where he put the new Zenoah g20EI in his Funtana X100? Seems to work OK. That airframe is 69.5" WS and 1108 Sq.In. area, at 73" WS you should have more wing area on the Giles - I tried to find out for sure on Great Planes site, but the Giles is discontinued & there are no specs. The all up weight, w/muffler and ign., of the little Zenoah is listed as 41oz, only 10oz more than the Saito 1.50 - prop recommendation is smaller. So it's a close call IMHO, it probably would be weak for 3D, but a good combo for sane aerobatic flight.
Robin Boomsma
MAAC 46821
Hub City Radio Control Club
Saskatoon, SK
Sonic Boomer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #12
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
OK I had forgoten about those new BME.90 gassers.

RobC has one for sale and he said it would fly the MAXXAIR 68" Velox fine for IMAC but not so good for 3D. I checked the specs and the Velox has only 980 sqin of WA so I would think this engine would be a good choice for the Giles.

Rob states 25 minute runs on 8 oz of gas so that nice small tank will help keep allup weight down becauswe if you used the Saito you would need at least 16oz to do 15 minutes on glow I suspect.

Good price from Rob right now to, about same as the Saito 100. Go for it.

Was you've had gas... you never go back!
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:20 AM   #13
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rob

I sold my GP Giles 202 to a fellow in my club. I was flying a YS140 in it and when i sold it to my friend he decided to go gas with it/ he put the Zenoa G23 in it. I was a little worried about haveing enough power but was plesantly serprized lots of power for IMAC and that was with the heave Flywheel and magneto sill on the motor.
What do you mean , I can land upside down
Rob is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:42 AM   #14
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ChisR

Total Props: -4
Gas can be very successfully used under 80" but only if the airframe is built for it. Ultra-RC makes a very nice Giles that works very well with gassers. Large wing, super light = perfect. However, say a Funtana90 or something, I would stay away with gas and stick with glow. On your particular example I wouldn't consider gas.
SJrcflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #15
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
Flying a Sig Cap 231EX with a Q42 on batt ign. 72 in. WS. Flies decent.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #16
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4
Originally Posted by Rob
I sold my GP Giles 202 to a fellow in my club. I was flying a YS140 in it and when i sold it to my friend he decided to go gas with it/ he put the Zenoa G23 in it. I was a little worried about haveing enough power but was plesantly serprized lots of power for IMAC and that was with the heave Flywheel and magneto sill on the motor.
I've read on some other sites where guys put Zenoah G26's on planes such as the Giles in question (ie: 1/4 scale caps, extras, etc) and they all said it was good power for IMAC type flying but not for 3D. It will work, the only problem is that you can not slow it down as much for landings. If you are looking for a 3D plane, a gas engine in this size plane would not work in my opinion.
Dave V.
Burlington Radio Control Modelers
Team Skycraft
jake_027 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:01 PM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor

LOL, says the guy with a turbine!
Thank god Kerosene is cheaper than glow too hey wayne!
Yeah but when you land up wiping 3/4 of the glow fuel off the plane after every flight, you have to draw the line somewhere...

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #18
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 5

I had a Maxair Velox with an Evolution 26cc gas/fully tuned pipe. The power was fantastic. The weight killed it. At first, I had a YS110 and it was a great combo...somewhat costly to run and messy but the power/wingloading was where it was supposed to be. I decided to experiment with the Evolution 26cc and I'm glad I did, but the airframe was just too small to perform the way it should have with the gas motor. That being said, I am very critical of my airframes as I would consider myself to be a very performance hungry what works for somebody else might not work for me. IMHO the 25cc gasers would be great on something like a Cessna, Citabria, Decathlon, Cub, or an Ultra Stick "lite" 120 (or something along that line) but not on a high performance IMAC style aerobat.

If your looking for top notch performance from a 70-75 inch ish airframe with a gas motor, it will be very hard to do with what is on the market right now. I have flown a few 100cc birds and a few 50cc birds so I have an idea of how a decent combo should perform.

Also i'm gonna go against the grain here and say that IMHO, it takes more power to do a "good" IMAC sequence than it does to 3D. With 3D, your anywheres from 1/3 throttle to 3/4 throttle (of course, different setups will vary) but with a good IMAC sequence, it definately helps if you have lots of power for the uplines....i.e so it doesn't get too out of shape after a snap or a few rolls. I am by no means an accomplished IMAC pilot..maybe some of you guys who compete in IMAC could chime in?

If you don't mind sacrificing performance for some added wieght, then go for it. If you are content doing rolls, small loops and intermediate aerobatics, then a good 25cc ish motor should make you happy.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #19
RCC Junior Contributor

Smaller Planes on Gas

Yup, we've been flying Goldberg Sukhoi size (72") planes very successfully on clunkers (Quadras/US Engines) for a long time. They do well for sport flying, not so sure about comp.

Just about any round engine scale model will handle the gasser and do without the lead! Tex.
Tex Gehman, Winnipeg
Slime is Crime
Sabrejock is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.