RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #21
Rick Kroeze
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rick K

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hand raised.

I've seen the barriers prevent a potential injury more than once, at different fields.

i.e. Unlimited pilot taxiing back wind pushes tail around unexpectedly and hits barrier between him and plane. Damaged prop and wing instead of leg.
Rick Kroeze
MAAC#70373 IMAC #4460
NC Region Judging Instructor
They say trees are 90% air. Personally I think they are 100% tree.
Rick Kroeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:45 AM   #22
Rick Kroeze
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rick K

I to am getting a little bored with the hovering,etc. but hesitate to use the word unconventional. They are doing it.

Rick Kroeze
MAAC#70373 IMAC #4460
NC Region Judging Instructor
They say trees are 90% air. Personally I think they are 100% tree.
Rick Kroeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:53 AM   #23
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark M

My views on the barriers are twofold.

I just returned from a 10 year abcense from RC aircraft, and I'll admit that when I first visited my old club after not having been there for a long while it was strange to see all the new barriers.

I thought it to be a bit of an overkill at first but when I questioned it I was politely informed that it was MAAC rules that now required them.

10+ years ago there was only a fence seperating the spectator/non member area, 4 pads for pilots to stand upon, and little else in the way of protection other ten the rules about not taxiing into/out of the pits, etc.

However, thinking back to when I last flew regularly I can remember a few situations where I had to dodge aircraft on the flightline while flying myself.

Not only do you stand to be injured yourself, but being distracted and possibly having to take your eyes off your own aircraft opens up another possibility for an out of control aircraft.

Yes, they're not going to help a lot with aircraft that loose control inflight, but assuming the pilot is flying in the proper area the crash should result in an unoccipied area.

If a pilot looses control on t/o or landing (while travelling at a good rate of speed) I personally like the fact that I'm now offered some protection while flying myself, or with my back turned in the pits.

So yes...hand up for me too.
Oshawapilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:17 AM   #24
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Originally Posted by Oshawapilot
... they're not going to help a lot with aircraft that loose control inflight...
I had occasion to "hit th e dirt" on one occasion, although in the end the fence was not required to "intervene" ( the pilot had the presence of mind to push the nose over), I was very glad for it's presence.

I've also been witness to several taxi incidents that may have been nasty if it weren't for the fence, and I was even the perpetrator of one of these when I bumped throttle while reaching for the kill switch.

... another hand in the air.

As for someone stepping out from behind one, I don't see how this would invalidate insurance for the rest of the attendees, or the club (unless this person wasn't advised to step back) but I do see how it exposes the individual should someting untoward happen....
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:49 AM   #25
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: God's Gift to Planes
Radio of choice:
Anything 72MHz
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
I dunno... Somehow I still feel safer while watching a demo pilot hover his plane while standing in the middle of the runway than I do flying with four LT-40s in the air while hiding behind a snow fence.

Great picture. I enjoyed it in the magazine.

tommy321 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #26
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 11
Originally Posted by JKovats
I'm glad somebody else said something first. Not only does it blow my mind that a club allowed this to take place, probably without reprimand, but with all this safety talk don't you wonder:

1) What was the Zone director thinking when submitting the picture?
2) Morrison is pro MAAC and pro safety / who does the proofing for the magazine?
3) Who at MAAC signs off on this stuff before it goes to the presses? Does MAAC have editorial control?
1) Richard has addressed this
2+3) I proof the magazine and content and have editorial control subject to the guidelines set out by the association. My familiarity with the hobby, MAAC, and the needs of the board/committees is a strength.

This thread has gone on too long already, and it's premis is fundimentally flawed. From an editors standpoint, I assumed that Richard, a long time director, would not submit a photo of a dangerous practice. This photo was shot with an extreme telephoto, and cropped. The pilot is actually a good distance from the model.
Also, 4.2 (18), outlines alternate spacing for fields where the use of safety fencing is not possible... this is also shown in the diagram 4.5
"4.2 (18) At club affiliated member registered fields where safety fences are not” permitted eg. Sod farms, parks and float fly sites. The distance between the flight line and the pilot stations shall be increased to at least 10 metres. The distance between the flight line and the pit area shall be increased to at least 13 metres. All nonflying activities shall be 40 metres behind the flight line. This includes but is not limited to spectator and parking areas as well as supervised play areas."

Can anyone point to anything in this picture that indicates an obvious violation of the safety code?
Keith Morison
MAAC 24909L
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:28 AM   #27
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

Originally Posted by Morison

Can anyone point to anything in this picture that indicates an obvious violation of the safety code?
Are you serious? That would involve an intelligent and unbiased mature approach to the subject. Simply not possible for some on this site.

I am so tired of people trying to tear apart what is pictured in a magazine. Pictures are great ways of remembering a moment if you were there at the time and also a great way to share the moment with others that were not there at the time. Pictures however are not great for amateur dissection. It is very difficult for the average person to look at a photo and get a clear idea of distances and angles as your perception of depth is easily confused. Take the picture for what it is intended to do... take you to an event that you were not able to attend or remind of the events you did attend. If you personally see a safety infraction at an event that you attend then you have every right and frankly an obligation to speak up, but objecting to a perceived infraction from a picture on a magazine page is just phishing in my opinion.

As for you Randy, I know of an event that you attended this summer and there were obvious safety infractions that you were there to see, but of course you don't cry out about those ones do you. I suspect you wouldn't have cried out about this moment captured in this picture either if you were present. Easy to cry out behind your computer long after the fact, isn't it. Same old...same old.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:40 AM   #28
Ed Smith

Safety Barriers? Have you people nothing better to prattle on about?

I could show you pictures of eight people, four of them with transmitters, milling around in close proximity to each other. All the while there are four pound airplanes flying by at 170 mph less than twenty feet away. Not a safety barrier in sight. They are all covered by insurance and this activity frequently happens in propbably the most litigious country on the planet!

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:48 AM   #29
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

This is obviously just another lame attempt to discredit the current MAAC exec.

Nuff said.
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:23 PM   #30
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33
Re: No pilot station...

[quote="Randy Brown"]You bet your butt mine would be the same

and he is cleary NOT standing in one

Picture tells the story Richard and you cant get around it

If I read Richard's post correctly and this fellow had the flight line dedicated to himself for a demo flight the only person he is putting in possible peril in stepping in front of the barrier to fly his airplane is himself. Again, assuming that he had the flight line to himself, where is it that there was anything done here to void the insurance for the event? I mean really, if he wants to stand in the middle of the runway to do his routine, what is the harm? Everyone else is watching the demo back safely in the spectator or pit area. Let's keep common sense in the hobby, it's supposed to be fun after all.

reo is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.