Coleman Camp fuel as fuel for gas engine - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Chris l

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Sounds good, you will love it and whatever keeps the wife happy.
Chris Lewry
treecutter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:37 AM   #12
RCC Apprentice
I am: Robert B

Coleman Camp fuel is simply “white gas”. Essentially it is additive free gasoline. It has lower octane level and is fine in a two stroke engine. When I was a kid, white gas was readily available at most gas stations. It was the preferred fuel for outboard motors, the lack of lead in the fuel apparently made for less plug fouling. I remember we always had a drum of the stuff in the boat shed. We did not use it in a four cycle engine and I think this was because of the no lead thing being hard on valve seats. To achieve similar performance to the gas you are using now I suspect you would have to add some octane booster. bert
pipercub is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:37 AM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: AlexL
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 2
Great insight

Thanks for the great points, especially the Octane booster part, to start with, what and which brand?

One note on the camp fuel, they do have a line on the can, clearly stating that it is not intended for internal combustion engines, and that I think, is the one you pointed out on the 4-stroke engines, to prevent it from "knocking"

Take care,

AlexL is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:36 AM   #14
RCC Apprentice
I am: Robert B

Octane boosters are available where auto parts etc are sold CTC, NAPA, etc. STP makes one for example. Do a Google search and you will be buried in voodoo witch craft fuel blending concoctions. You are likley to be happy with the fuel just the way it is. Try it before adding anything ,then adjust to suit. bert

Just an example….
pipercub is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:15 PM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Aarin S

There is a real good article on Zenoahs in the above thread. The long and the short of it is, these engines are built to run on low octane fuel. No OCtane boosters required.
SHAG 2009
aarinsingh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #16
RCC Noob

i read somewhere that the guys that crossed the atlantic with their plane used camp fuel (actually was one of there secrets for long run times). i could see the greater fuel efficiency offsetting the higher cost of gasoline after a season of flying. hmmmm....maybe i should do a comparrison next season......
just say "NO" to ARFs
skypilot6 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #17
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
As said above the compression ratio is so low on these two strokes, there is no need for octane boosters.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.